A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Reg's (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=415)

harpersimon 6th March 2009 12:36 PM

Reg's

2 Attachment(s)
So I was looking at Private Reg's today - my Dad has one, and I always like to see whats available with my name on it.. (Initials SCH)

Look what is available.. and wonder how tempted I am ... looks splendid I thought..

Don't think I can justify a plate thats worth more than the car though :-(

Singh 6th March 2009 01:55 PM

Go for it, that means your next car will have to be a D2 :D

harpersimon 6th March 2009 02:13 PM

yeah there is that.. good justification when I try and swop it and come home with something very similar and have to explain the car 'change' to the management!

IT 9th March 2009 08:33 AM

For my two penneth - Its better to either get a plate that is personalised to the Car, OR personalised to you - Trying to get both will almost certainly end up with a plate that is worth nothing to anyone else after, and is worth less to you when you inevitably change your car later on....

If you really want SCH, get SCH and dont worry about the rest of the letters, just get the cheapest or initials of kids/wife/grandma etc .... +++

harpersimon 11th March 2009 11:10 AM

yeah you make a good point.. Just saw this and thought what are the chances.. but it would be an impulse and meaning less car wise at a future date.
I don't have any kids called Darren , and the wife isn't called Doris - but the SCH And the memory of a great car would be there :-)

Mkoneman 11th March 2009 05:26 PM

yeah the a8 and s8 ones are cheap really if you are lucky to get the 3 letters you want,

i have
A8 vwj- on retention
S8 vwj- on the car

i want
S5 vwj- for my future purchase :p

A8_Tony 11th March 2009 06:04 PM

I have S8 NSU.........now that should be worth a few pennies :)

Conan_the_Librarian 11th March 2009 07:34 PM

I have been after an 'ageless' registration for a while. As I can't have one starting with 'S' as I am 'R' reg I started looking for alternatives. I Rang the DLVA to see if MY 58 was available. Which it wasn't (issued in 1953 and never declared scrapped) but that led to a discussion as to what is available.

The following are available that may appeal to 8 owners:
MYS 8 ( A-Y) except Q
MYA 8 (with most of A - Y) except Q

Unfortunately you can't buy them they have to be auctioned! :(
So the idea is you ring them, ask for the reg u want to go to the next auction, attend the auction and watch some spiv dealer outbid you and sell the reg on at a huge profit. That just sux! :-(

So my plan is (and it's cunning) I ring up ask for all the MYS 8, MIS 8, ESS 8, SSS 8 and any other combination I can think of go in the auction and maybe, just maybe I get one of them! :D

Oli18 12th March 2009 06:35 AM

I have had my eye on

OVB 2

for about 18 months now...

Prices online seem to range from 4-9K quid....

I can dream!!! ;)

-Oli

PS - anyone ever bought a plate of this nature? Can you haggle much?

IT 12th March 2009 12:16 PM

I would say there is space to haggle - Many people still have the plate on their car and just have it listed on the off chance some one takes an interest - It may be some time since they listed it, and they might have forgotten, or their cicumstances may have changed. Either way, most plates are owned by individuals, and marketted by agencies so there is often lots of room to move imo...