A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Engine top end rattle after a HARD drive. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5469)

A8L Chick 6th October 2012 07:10 PM

Engine top end rattle after a HARD drive.

Pretty much as the title suggests really. Car now clicking when accelerating. :-( increases with the RPM.

3.0 TDI with a gazillion miles on the clock.

Many thanks.

Becci

47p2 6th October 2012 08:11 PM

Is the noise there all the time or only after a t̶h̶r̶a̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ :tuttut: 'hard drive'?

Could it be a diesel knock due to a faulty injector, or is it more metallic?

If metallic it could be any number of things that would require investigation
Hydraulic tappets, cam-shaft, timing chains, manifold flaps all spring to mind

Best have it looked at soon as possible

snapdragon 6th October 2012 08:51 PM

See if it does it when cold tomorrow and report back.
Can you record it with a camera?
Does it do it when stood still just revving it?

A8L Chick 6th October 2012 11:25 PM

Ok, on initial investigation it's not doing it from cold now. It sounded "tappety" to my relatively untrained ears.

Going to see what she's like after being Wayne up an taken for a normal more sedate drive ;-)

Thanks so far guys, I nearly cried earlier. :'-(

A8L Chick 7th October 2012 12:00 AM

Ok, I may have jumped the gun, upon driving her, the engine braking caused the "tapping" to start up again, and the car feels like she's tryin to "drive" when I'm stationary. She actually stalled in P.

Would I be right in thinking she's over fuelling for to a faulty injector on the drivers side??

It also. Sounds like a belt is slipping when the car is unhappy about stopping too???

snapdragon 7th October 2012 05:57 PM

These are weird symptoms. I have never read of anything exactly like this.
These injectors are electro piezo and usually very quiet, in fact because of their design, I don't see how they could be noisy compared to the older type.

Any smoke or bad smell from the exhaust?
If you could test with VCDS Engine measuring blocks 14-17 on the engine it will show smooth running mg/S for each cylinder and if any is over +/-2.99 (typical good condition is +/-0.5) then injector is not operating correctly. I wouldn't use it until you can have it looked at for fear of causing damage.
Good luck:Confused:

A8L Chick 8th October 2012 05:41 AM

She's getting plugged in today. Snap on computer is the best I can find :-(

Car really doesn't sound happy. :-(

Not checked for smoke, there was a funny smell after the drive home but didn't recognise it to describe it. :-( sorry

I'll try to update again later.

A8L Chick 8th October 2012 01:08 PM

Turned out to be pretty fatal and not top end as originally thought. Fine gold filings in my oil are pointing to be bearings.

Pulling the engine apart later.... :(

snapdragon 8th October 2012 02:32 PM

Oh Lord:mad:
Make sure you wear gloves!:tuttut: