A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - Cars (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   S8 v10 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11358)

Simon Wallwork 21st March 2016 04:35 PM

S8 v10

Hi guys.
I'm really very happy with my D2 S8. It's my second 8, - and third Audi, I had an ur quattro- and way the best yet.

Got a bit of a hankering for one of the Lambo engined D3s though. Like most, I can't claim to need one, but I'll never be able to afford a Miura, so this is likely as close as I'd get barring a win on the lottery......and I don't buy tickets.

What's needed to get into one?
Are they reliable? Available? Trouble?

Anyone got a nice one to flog?

Thanks,
Simon

Norretal 21st March 2016 07:15 PM

I can only comment based on my own experience, so here goes.

I always wanted one, loved the look of them and the V10 and Lamborghini connection made it even more desirable in my eyes. I had a PF 4.2 QS for over 9 years and when the chance to buy an S8 came along I took it, it was a considerable step up. Two years into ownership and I'm still glad I did. It's had it's problems, and has a considerable thirst, but for smiles per mile it's the best car I've ever had, and probably ever will have. I may moan about filling it up with Shell's finest far too often but when the needle is rocketing to 100mph in third gear it makes it all seem worthwhile.

There is plenty of discussion on here about their weaknesses (manifold flaps, power steering hoses) but every car has it's weaknesses, the S8 ones are just inevitably expensive. Borys is selling his, maybe talk to him? Be warned though, once you've driven one you'll want to buy one, so be prepared ;)

Delboy 21st March 2016 07:29 PM

Mine may be up for sale soon.

Simon Wallwork 21st March 2016 07:43 PM

Delboy

When the time comes u can reach me on 07771 918409.

I don't really need a change, so it will need to be knicker- moisteningly lovely.

IT 21st March 2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 108722)
Mine may be up for sale soon.

Oooo..... :D

Delboy 21st March 2016 08:00 PM

I'm currently considering a move to Newfoundland, if it wasn't for that, the car wouldn't be leaving my company

Norretal 21st March 2016 08:02 PM

And mine as it happens, there will be several Daytona Grey S8's on the market before long, it could be a great time to be looking for one ;)

Conquistador 21st March 2016 09:35 PM

Well mine is definitely not for sale any time soon :D but a word of warning... if you drive one, you will want one!

A few months ago I changed from a D2 S8 (in the same colour!) and it's such an amazing leap in every aspect. The D2 was a thirsty old girl but the D3 S8 is a step up and has an insatiable appetite for premium unleaded. I'm not afraid to give it some in the D3, whereas in the D2 there was always the thought in the back of my mind that something will go bang.

Best bit is definitely the silky smooth engine and unique exhaust note.

Borys 21st March 2016 09:42 PM

Mine is sold as from today.....

Greg66 22nd March 2016 07:19 AM

I had a FL D2 4.2 QS for 14 years. A mate had a D2 S8 which I also drove from time to time. Really liked both. When the QS died I contemplated briefly picking up a mint D2 S8 from somewhere like 4Star Classics, but really pined for a V10. And wanted the novelty of B&O.

My advice: do it. You won't regret it. First, a V10 is a very special engine. Outside Audi, I can think of the one in the old M5, and the one in a Carrera GT. There aren't many V10s around, and there won't be any new ones.

Second, it's a big step up as others have said. It's not the last word in speed - low 5 for 0-60 doesn't really cut it with the big boys these days, but in the words of Rolls Royce, it is adequate.

Third, the noise. A V10 at full bore has a very distinctive tone: very deep, thunderous, yet hammering at you. It's utterly lovely.

Reliable: yes, although some say once the electrics go you're in trouble. Avoid ceramic brakes.

Available: patience is required.

Affordable: yes, but don't underestimate running costs. And make sure that previous owners have too skimped too badly on running costs.

Do it.