A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Red light across gear dispaly (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1505)

A8chris 31st January 2010 10:01 PM

Red light across gear dispaly

oh...**** i hope this isn't gonna be expensive !

last couple of 30+ mile runs the gear display on the dash has turned red on the background and not allowed me to use the triptronic on the lever or the padels on the steering wheel.

both times i the fault has gone away by its self or when i have stopped the engine and started it again.

just been through the manual and can't find anything related to this so has anyone had or ehard of this before ???????????:Confused:

builder22 1st February 2010 08:54 AM

Hello there,

When that happens on my D2 it indicates that the car is gone into Limp mode i.e. stuck in 3rd gear.

I’m sure some of the more knowledgeable folks will be along soon to suggest possibilities.

Niall

Oli18 1st February 2010 03:22 PM

Hi A8Chris,

I take it from your picture that it's a D3? Can you give some more info on engine (and if you have it, gearbox)?

Thanks,

Oli

A8chris 1st February 2010 04:15 PM

its a 53 reg D3.....4.0ltr diesel....with the 6speed triptronic auto gearbox.

it still goes through the gears ok with this light on in auto just wont let you manually shift

IT 15th February 2010 09:10 PM

Interesting.... Whats the mileage on the car ?

A8chris 16th February 2010 08:14 PM

its got 73,000 on it.........not done it now for 2 weeks.....and have been driving it fairly hard :-)
was told by someone who used to have a rs6 its something to do with the constant self monitoring..?..see's something it doesnt like..?....goes away when checks are ok ?

A8 Doc 23rd February 2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8chris (Post 9645)
its got 73,000 on it.........not done it now for 2 weeks.....and have been driving it fairly hard :-)
was told by someone who used to have a rs6 its something to do with the constant self monitoring..?..see's something it doesnt like..?....goes away when checks are ok ?

It's desperate for an oil change basically!

Get it changed ASAP with the correct oil and get your gearbox module updated with the latest software.

Fingers crossed you should be ok.

A8chris 24th February 2010 08:16 PM

engine and gearbox oil or just one of them ?.....how much are we talkin for the update ?

A8 Doc 29th March 2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8chris (Post 9817)
engine and gearbox oil or just one of them ?.....how much are we talkin for the update ?

Gearbox oil change, sorry for not replying earlier.

£150 from Audi for the software update normally.

It's well worth doing.

Stop driving it hard whilst it has a problem too!!!

jmw748 5th October 2010 07:00 AM

I'm not scare-mongering, but my 02 S8 did the same thing twice over the priod of two weeks, 15 months ago.

It is the gearbox going into limp mode and not a good sign. This happened 4 weeks AFTER I'd had the gearbox serviced as a precaution. The box subsequently failed and I needed a 2.5K rebuild. Ian will recall that it started a debate about whether you should bother with oil changes on a sealed for life unit, as mine was fine until I 'disturbed' it with a service. Chester Auto Transmissions said I had probably upset the balance of old oil, crud and the seals!

At best, you might have a gearbox ECU fault or a dodgy solenoid, but looking at the amount of 'boxes that have failed here after the all red display, I'd be saving my pennies. VAGCOM will give you a great steer with a gearbox fault code.

Really hope it's something minor, but I no longer trust ZF 'boxes with or without pre-emotive servicing.

Fingers crossed for you mate.