A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Fuel consumption... what are you getting? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7614)

gti69 12th February 2014 09:16 AM

Fuel consumption... what are you getting?

Hi guys,

Thought I would ask as my A8 seems to be verrrry thirsty!

Currently, according to on board computer, which I have set to display the consumption in litres/km, it shows around 18l / 100KM (ca 15MPG) but in real life it is more like 20l / 100KM (ca 14 MPG).

I must say my foot is not very heavy! I do not hammer the car! Doing short distances though might not help.

What are you guys getting?

Cheers,
Tom

PsYcHe 12th February 2014 09:22 AM

Does sound a bit thirsty.. how fast are you going? :)

Adrian E 12th February 2014 09:45 AM

My S8 has averaged 16mpg (measured on filled tank basis and about 5-10% more accurate than relying on DIS depending on usage) over 3 years I've owned it

Worst of 12 and best of 21 on high octane fuel. Would expect a bit better from an A8

Norretal 12th February 2014 09:54 AM

I get very similar figures in my 4.2 PF fella, it's "around the doors" that kills it, in more ways than one. I hate using it for work (a ten minute journey) but weather sometimes dictates I have to. I've seen around 24 mpg on journeys to your neck of the woods, I just don't drive it any great distance often enough. Since I was informed the short trips were contributing to some of the problems I've had with the car I make a point of extending my journey sometimes and giving it a good blast once it's warmed through, it always ensures I end my journey with a smile and, after all, it's hardly going to hurt the fuel consumption ;)

gti69 12th February 2014 11:38 AM

Cheers guys. Yeah, on the motorway it is not that bad... shop/train station journeys must be quite demanding :)

David's8 12th February 2014 12:38 PM

Frankly i havent a clue. The DIS says 22mpg overall but i cant be a**ed working it out and keeping records. My wife says its a lot and says thats why i ditched the petrol log! :p The_Laird keeps a detailed spreadsheet but is away on hols at the mo' but he runs 60-70 miles aday going to work.

Around town is a killer :(.

B@fink 12th February 2014 06:07 PM

Even my 2.8 struggles to get much mpg when doing the 3 and a bit miles to work about 22mpg. If I get chance to let the old girl stretch her legs though 34 mpg isn't difficult. Sadly it does journeys to work than anything else :(

Dave McB 12th February 2014 09:22 PM

I try to drive sensibly & average around 20mpg.

If I'm hooning it a bit, Iv saw average as low as 6mpg and instant mpg of ---

Norretal 13th February 2014 12:53 PM

I'm currently showing 14.7 mpg on my DIS after a couple of hundred miles of local driving, I'll do a check when I fill up and compare. I suspect it isn't far off as I've seen it as low as 15 mpg several times. I'm filling up for a jaunt up the east coast to Monifieth this weekend so should get a chance to get it to 20+mpg, we'll see ;)

PsYcHe 13th February 2014 02:21 PM

Got 44 mpg the other day going through to Edinburgh.. though traffic was only doing high 50's... :) Over 30 on a normal motorway run though...