A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   water coming from roof (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4961)

A8 Owner 25th June 2012 07:47 AM

water coming from roof

Well moved car to go to work, where i got what i can only say was liks someone puting hose on me. It came from around vent at front, by rear view mirror in roo,f and also top of A piller. This wasnt a drip, this really was like a hose pipe been turned on. im soaked. Now off to get changed again for work.
Thanks for any help. Will check back ltr.

mannyo 25th June 2012 08:01 AM

Blocked front sunroof drain would be my guess. The front has a drain on each side that runs to between the front door hinges.

A8 Owner 25th June 2012 10:24 PM

hubby has had a look tonight. put some thick strimmer cable down the front water traps both free and clean. Is there any back ones? If not how would water get to above area where the sunroof dial control is and driver side Where roof liner and a piller cover meet? As i said this wasnt a drip this was full on gush. Steve said it looks like its all sealed on the inner rim, so water cant get further forward to come out by roof control, or where roof liner meets A piller in roof.

Anyone had anything like this???

IT 25th June 2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8 Owner (Post 42473)
Anyone had anything like this???

Yes, in a Ford Galaxy after heavy rain - And it didnt even have a sunroof. To this day I've no idea how the water got in. I put it down to a mild hangover and madness, but it happened again a few months later.....

The_Laird 26th June 2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A8 Owner (Post 42473)
Is there any back ones?

Yes, there are 2 rear ones that come out through the boot. Purple IIRC

Adrian E 26th June 2012 08:17 AM

I've had it in mine and was resolved by pressure washing the underside of the car (have an angled head for my pressure washer so thought I'd try it!) even if drains are clear it doesn't take a lot of muck to cover them at ground level

A8 Owner 26th June 2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 42479)
Yes, there are 2 rear ones that come out through the boot. Purple IIRC

Hi thanks for info. so take it open boot and there in the corners where pillers come down? or under car? Will get this strimmer cable up there

graynada 26th June 2012 12:26 PM

You have to get behind the side linings in the boot and then you can see the tubes going into a rubber housing. The tubes pull out and you can get a something poked down, but up will be more tricky. I have posted a picture on here somewhere of one side.

I have a faint recollection from when I was trying to dry out my eight that there can be an issue with a 'drip tray' that is supposed to come into position along the back edge of the sunroof when it closes. The idea is that this tray will catch water getting past the seal on the back edge of the sunroof, and then drain that water to either side and eventually to the drains. If my memory serves me correctly I read that there are some plastic bits that can break that stop this coming back in to position on closing the sunroof. I'm guessing depending on what angle you car was parked it may be possible that water coming through the rear of the sunroof eventually built up and came out as you described. I think if you put the sunroof on tilt you can see said tray.

A8 Owner 26th June 2012 12:59 PM

thanks i found it
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...2502#post42502

added to that thread asking for info how to get that liner out, so i know whats i got to do. I hate to pull car apart without knowing.

A8 Owner 2nd July 2012 01:54 PM

Can you see the rear sunroof drains from under car? thought i found it till i put air line over so say hole. For daughter to say the air was coming out of filler cap area LOL. So i know where that drain is now lol.
I cant take boot cover off as LPG system goes through that panel.
Been told i could get to rear sunroof drains, by taking off the rear interior panel, that goes over rear door and down the rear piller. This correct? if so how do you take panel off. Seems like there is a screw in shirt hanger. Plus grab handle,cnat find how to get them covers off tho. Anyone got a exploded view? or know if u can see rear sunroof drains if i do?
All help greatfull