A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Gearbox gone pop (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12761)

manca 1st March 2017 05:40 PM

Gearbox gone pop

2005 face lift 3.0tdi.
Went into safe mode on the way to work this morning after having a fit going between third and fourth gears.
On the way home same thing.... started off okay but half way home (a couple of miles) went back into safe mode and third gear. I slowed down towards a set of lights which turned green as I approached. Touched the accelerator something went pop and I lost all drive. No gears at all..... stuck in the middle of the road awaiting rescue:mad::mad:

1781cc 1st March 2017 08:04 PM

damn, I hope it turns out to be a simple fix, good luck you had breakdown cover! keep us posted on progress

manca 2nd March 2017 10:19 AM

Described symptoms over the phone to local Auto Transmission Centre and they say it sounds like the box will need replacing. Which means for me the car will need replacing too:mad:

PsYcHe 2nd March 2017 10:59 AM

I'd look into refurbing the gearbox. Still a lot less than replacing the car.

M-A8 2nd March 2017 11:07 AM

You can have 120k miles gearbox delivered to you for £500 which I would service straight away or at least change oil and you could be good for many years to come.

manca 2nd March 2017 02:30 PM

Cheers guys. Yes I its an option I need to explore. I did have had a half hearted look at a gearbox prices on eBay yesterday before I put the whole thing out of my mind. On there I was seeing nearer £1k prices... then I'll need to get the car moved to someone who can service and then fit the box.
A pal mentioned trying a replacement for the pcb under the gear selector..... Any ideas anyone?

paulrstaylor 2nd March 2017 03:10 PM

I'm no expert but it sounds more mechanical from your description than electronic issues - which I believe is rare on the D3, so there should be lots of "good" boxes in breakers. Ebay often carries inflated prices, definitely worth a VCDS scan to start and then calling round to get some options - good luck in any case +++

manca 2nd March 2017 06:22 PM

Cheers Paul. I guess a VCDS scan is the first thing. Are the copy cables able to get this info does anyone know. A mobile mechanic should be able to do this too I guess? I don't want to buy a pukka cable particularly if the car is toast. Heck I haven't even got a laptop I can plug it into! Auto centre in Wimbledon weren't interested at all just said it'll cost £3k+, second one in Carshalton put the phone down on me when they went to 'check' and then didn't pick up when I rang back. I've used the guys Martin recommends in Harrow so might give them a call if I can get the VCDS scan thing done.

M-A8 2nd March 2017 06:30 PM

PM me your post code please.
I'll see if can pop in over the weekend.
How about weekdays between 11-2pm?
It would most likely be weekend anyway but just in case.

Johnmed 2nd March 2017 08:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your 'box. If it was me I'd jump at the chance of a member scanning the car for you, if you can't yourself,.. and then go from there. Worst comes to the worst, whack a £500 'box in and move on.