A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Ventilation fan has stopped (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13248)

HPsauce 25th July 2017 02:15 PM

Ventilation fan has stopped (sometimes, not always!)

Not working at all, either with ignition or driven by the solar sunroof. :(

Looking in the manual there's a reference to a 40A fuse but the location is not at all clear (nor if I have a spare!)
(Standard type I have spares up to 30A but is this a different type?)

The manual says "There is also a 40 amp fuse for the heater blower in the electronics/relay box under the carpet in the front right footwell. In right-hand drive models the 60 amp fuse for the radiator fan is also accommodated there".

Does this actually mean the front passenger footwell, i.e. front left on a RHD car? :Confused:
If so, does anyone have a picture to show the location, or is it obvious once I dive in? (under my nice new board supplied by Sean last year +++ )

Edit: As noted later in the thread, sometimes it works, this is not a total failure.

moltuae 25th July 2017 02:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've never had to change/check that fuse but it does seem to be in the passenger footwell, according to this pdf (position 7, S25):
Attachment 16597

It might be visually obvious if it's blown. Otherwise I'd pop it out and check it for continuity.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1500989945

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1500989945

HPsauce 25th July 2017 02:47 PM

Thanks Mark, found what I think is it mounted with a type 204 relay; looks OK, tests OK. :(

HPsauce 25th July 2017 03:02 PM

Found the same type of relay in the bottom row, left hand side (horn I think). Swapped them, no change. Not looking good. :(

All suggestions welcome as to what to try next. I'll do a VCDS scan but suspect that won't show anything.

moltuae 25th July 2017 03:22 PM

Might just be corroded connections at the blower end.

I've never had a problem with the blower yet (touch Myrtle) so I don't know how easy it is to get to the connector (blower is just at the rear of the engine bay, is it not?). If it's easy to access I'd get a meter on the connector next ... see if you get a voltage there.

HPsauce 25th July 2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 130749)
I'll do a VCDS scan but suspect that won't show anything.

VCDS scan failed on the HVAC module, too many communication errors. Everything else is fine. :Confused:
Controls seem to operate and I can hear flaps moving, just no fan....

27litres 25th July 2017 03:54 PM

It's very common for the shaft sleeves of the fan to get clogged up with carbon from the brushes.
You can often get away with a clean of the centre housing.

Tapping it may give you temporary relief, or try manually ramping the fan speed up to full and see if it will go doing that.

Easy to get at fan, it's the first thing you come to under the fresh air intake grille and shut off flaps.
Good write up on Audipages for fan replacement, take the procedure as far as required...

HPsauce 25th July 2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 130752)
Might just be corroded connections at the blower end.

I've never had a problem with the blower yet (touch Myrtle) so I don't know how easy it is to get to the connector (blower is just at the rear of the engine bay, is it not?). If it's easy to access I'd get a meter on the connector next ... see if you get a voltage there.

I've taken the mesh cover off and with the intake flaps open (they close on recirculate) I can see two connectors, one pink and one beige. Both have at least one seriously thick cable in them.

My suspicion is that one relates to the auxiliary coolant pump and the other to the blower.

Based on this rather old post by me (about my PF in 2011) I'd say the pink (purple?) one was the pump and beige one the blower:
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 32463)
Bonnet up this morning, turned on "rest" and it was immediately obvious where all the plumbing etc. was, just to the nearside of the air intake.
There are 2 connectors right there, a "yellowish" one to the front and a "purplish" one by the windscreen, both just held by clips.

No tools needed, took maybe 30 seconds. Disconnecting the purple one stopped the pump. +++

Note that on the FL model there is only one connector (beige/yellow) visible by the pump and to disconnect the pump I cut (and insulated) the relevant wires; I suspect the connector has just moved a few inches so is less obvious/accessible.

moltuae 25th July 2017 04:24 PM

It does look like it's the beige connector, judging by images such as this: https://i.imgur.com/5bmLvyn.jpg

If that connector is clean, perhaps try giving the blower a tap/spin as Marty suggests. Brushes certainly sounds a plausible explanation. If it starts working after giving it a nudge, I'd suspect warn brushes is your problem.

HPsauce 25th July 2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 130762)
It does look like it's the beige connector

Indeed it does, and we have lift off! +++

While you were posting this I took the intake mesh cover off again and tried to work out which was which then attempted to access the beige one.

As I tried to pull it from it's retaining clips I heard a very slow gentle soft thud. The blower motor ticking over extremely slowly driven by the solar panel.

And sure enough a bit of wiggling and it got a bit faster. Into the car, ignition on and we're blowing again, a bit hesitant but the problem is identified.

Thanks very much for the information and suggestions Mark. I now need to undo that connector and make sure it's clean and making good contact. :D

PS In case anyone has the noisy coolant pump issue it looks like the pink/purple connector in there is almost certainly the one to undo to disable the pump. :cool: