A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   GDPR and Sale of Vehicles (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15551)

David's8 28th February 2020 03:54 PM

GDPR and Sale of Vehicles

1 Attachment(s)
Following up on the issue raised in the thread about Robert Plants car and the sale info including name/address details, this months (ahem :o :o ) Camping and Caravaning mag had an interesting article on such issues. I attach for info.

The_Laird 28th February 2020 10:01 PM

Interesting read. It seems, like an awful lot of legislation, that the real, practical implications have not been considered. Who is going to enforce the imminent ‘wet wood’ burning legislation, for example?

tintin 28th February 2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 156038)
Who is going to enforce the imminent ‘wet wood’ burning legislation, for example?

Like most enforcement, they'll put the onus on the producer to ensure compliance up front, and then they'll check against that - more efficient to do this at source, and put the cost on the business, not the government.

Ameiseuk 29th February 2020 04:45 AM

Interesting article, and one that has been debated around our building of late.
While forklifts are not maybe classed the same as a car, the ability to resell with service history does affect it's resale value.

There has been some talk about the document referred to in the closing stages of the article. One to ask consent of the previous owner if they are happy for all info or limited info to be shared with any new owner.

David's8 29th February 2020 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ameiseuk (Post 156043)
There has been some talk about the document referred to in the closing stages of the article. One to ask consent of the previous owner if they are happy for all info or limited info to be shared with any new owner.

Im sure such a document is the way ahead......if car dealers etc are aware of the issue. Its in their interest to sell with proven history i would have thought.

MikkiJayne 29th February 2020 07:42 AM

It seems a very bizarre move to just destroy the service history rather than simply redacting personal information http://www.corradov8.com/pics/screwy.gif

If you're selling a vehicle and you don't redact the information yourself then I would consider that consent to pass your information on to subsequent owners for the purpose of maintaining the vehicle.

If a dealer (or indeed subsequent owner) misuses that information, for example sends you unsolicited marketing information based on what they found in the vehicle documentation, then thats a breach of the original purpose of the information so they become liable for that breach.

David's8 29th February 2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 156053)
It seems a very bizarre move to just destroy the service history rather than simply redacting personal information http://www.corradov8.com/pics/screwy.gif

If you're selling a vehicle and you don't redact the information yourself then I would consider that consent to pass your information on to subsequent owners for the purpose of maintaining the vehicle.

If a dealer (or indeed subsequent owner) misuses that information, for example sends you unsolicited marketing information based on what they found in the vehicle documentation, then thats a breach of the original purpose of the information so they become liable for that breach.

Point taken but that's requiring an "opting out" form of (non)consent which may not sit well with many.

MikkiJayne 29th February 2020 03:49 PM

Oh you're right - that's the wrong way round for GDPR which requires a positive action to give consent, rather than action to withdraw consent. Hmm...

Adrian E 29th February 2020 06:24 PM

I suspect a lot of dealers prefer the ambiguity that this scenario creates (i.e. you can't prove it's not had work done to schedule 'because GDPR')

I always keep every bit of paper relating to any car I own - I'd be distraught if that went astray if it was sold on via a dealer, due to some numpty deciding it was easier to bin it, than think about it.

Both my S5 and Golf have lever arch file full of paperwork, and the S8 was almost into its second volume when I sold it!

The_Laird 29th February 2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 156039)
Like most enforcement, they'll put the onus on the producer to ensure compliance up front, and then they'll check against that - more efficient to do this at source, and put the cost on the business, not the government.

Sorry about the tangential discussion! But on the ‘wet wood’ legislation, what if I cut fallen trees (wet wood) and put it in my log store. Who says if it’s there to dry or to burn? And what if I buy wet wood that is sold to me on the understanding that I keep it for a year or two to dry? This legislation is as much a load of propaganda as the tree planting promise - most of the trees are scheduled to be planted anyway to maintain ‘sustainable’ timber business. And don’t get me started on the wind turbine blades that are filling up land fill sites on a massive scale! We’re being fed what we want to hear about measures to combat climate change. Rant over!