A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   EPC light staying on sometimes on cold starts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11053)

3.7 slp 15th January 2016 08:21 AM

EPC light staying on sometimes on cold starts

Hi All

Had any one had this happen. The battery is only about 6 months old and is showing 100% on the meter

This happen maybe every 3-4 starts and only on cold starts using the key or start button. Car drives fine and if I tune it off and then back on it goes out.

Any tips on where to start looking

Thanks very much
Steve

Architex_mA8tey 15th January 2016 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.7 slp (Post 104901)
Hi All

Had any one had this happen. The battery is only about 6 months old and is showing 100% on the meter

This happen maybe every 3-4 starts and only on cold starts using the key or start button. Car drives fine and if I tune it off and then back on it goes out.

Any tips on where to start looking

Thanks very much
Steve

Strangely this can sometimes be caused by a faulty brake light switch from the pedal itself, might be worth changing that for a new one - I have done this on a D3 and it cured the same issue. New switch was something like £12 and not a difficult job to change

3.7 slp 15th January 2016 12:09 PM

+++ Cool I will look into that one. I did have one changed on it when I 1st had the car but that was bring up the ESP light which the replacement fixed....Apart from the light the car drives fine. would that pull up any codes.......also just on a cold 1st start....I was thinking crank sensor but it seems to start fine.

Is it normal for there to be a small delay on a cold start compaired to a warm or hot start ...just an extra second is what I find.

Thanks for getting back to me +++ hope all is good

3.7 slp 5th February 2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 104919)
Strangely this can sometimes be caused by a faulty brake light switch from the pedal itself, might be worth changing that for a new one - I have done this on a D3 and it cured the same issue. New switch was something like £12 and not a difficult job to change

What that giving the EPC light on . I had the brake light switch changed last year that was pulling up the ESC light and the little triangle.

Mechcanico Lee 5th February 2016 07:32 PM

Is the car used everyday ?
Does it tend to come on after leaving it standing for a few days ?

3.7 slp 6th February 2016 06:50 AM

Hi yep used every day this happen on a cold start when left overnight

Mechcanico Lee 6th February 2016 10:04 AM

I have seen the epc light come on with no fault codes on some Skoda models , Octavias mainly , on them it has been battery issues ,some kind of low voltage spike , they start ok not like lazy or anything so you would not think it was a battery issue but residual voltage must drop a little low and the ecm just throws a wobbler on the start up

I see you say your car has had a new battery already so you would think it should be ok , could it have a small drain just pulling it down a little .
Do you have a battery charger , just as a tester could you run an extension lead into the boot and leave it on a trickle charge just to see if the light still comes on at the cold start , it's something to rule out even if it's not the issue.

3.7 slp 6th February 2016 06:55 PM

That's a very good point I did have it check out and all good with it. The code that comes up is showing starter not turning when read

Mechcanico Lee 6th February 2016 08:51 PM

Yes was reading your other post about it , if it behaves for the rest of the day with no delay when cranking over its just the first cold start it could be a low voltage thing , defiantly worth leaving on a trickle charge just to see what happens .

3.7 slp 15th February 2016 08:54 PM

All fixed with a new starter motor+++
thanks for all the tips