A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Apple Play / Android Auto (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13450)

IT 25th September 2017 11:30 PM

Apple Play / Android Auto

Im sold.

I spent ages not having a clue what it was. It was on numerous brochures, including VW/Audi etc as a cost option, and on top end aftermarket stereo's but I didn't get the point of it all.

Well, now I do.

The concept is simple. You have your apple, or android phone, which you connect via USB to your Stereo/headunit/screen in the car and the car becomes dumb and your phone projects its screen onto the display in the car in the form of a very simple, predictable and standardised touch screen interface for phone / music / sat nav.

Its genius really. You no longer need the 3 grand OEM navigation upgrade, because honestly, Google maps will do sat nav way better, with realtime traffic into, and with voice recognition. Or, use waze instead of google and have realtime traffic data from others around you.

Your music plays from your phone, so that, and the rest of experience is completely portable from car to car. Forget Bluetooth audio. That's old already.

I'll accept that Audis MMI / interactive interfaces are very good. I like them. But, I can see lower down in the market, this feature, once understood would gain some serious traction. Its standardised like tom tom, but without the circular rubber ring of suckyness all over your windscreen.

For instance. Why upgrade your car every 3 years to get the latest tech, when actually, you can just upgrade your phone and have your car be the dumb slave.

Just when I though in car tech was going to be the driver of new car purchases, we hit another u turn in the road.....

Anyone else actively using it ?

tintin 25th September 2017 11:42 PM

If only Tesla would adopt the latter, properly. Sadly, instead of this, I get a half-cocked halfway house (the screen displays the track your playing on, say, Spotify, and allows you to control it either via the car's touchscreen or the phone's).

However, it doesn't allow full "mirroring" of the phone display, which is what it could do, if Tesla weren't as paranoid as Apple about keeping their system "closed". Shouldn't complain, really...

RICKY D 26th September 2017 12:34 PM

I had an aftermarket Pioneer Apple Play unit installed in the D2 last year for this very reason.

It's not factory but doesn't look too ridiculous. The RNS D is terribly outdated and this just made things so much easier with maps, music, phone, texting using voice command. I've been very happy with my £220 purchase.

Johnmed 26th September 2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 132957)
I had an aftermarket Pioneer Apple Play unit installed in the D2 last year for this very reason.

It's not factory but doesn't look too ridiculous. The RNS D is terribly outdated and this just made things so much easier with maps, music, phone, texting using voice command. I've been very happy with my £220 purchase.

I've not used it, but seen lots of videos on YouTube of it, and wish a retrofit on the D3 was possible.

Adrian E 26th September 2017 01:55 PM

We've got it in the Golf, but after experimenting with it from my Apple phone I went to the trouble of actively seeking to delete the pairing (which is also a ball-ache as you have to reset network connections completely to prevent it auto switching whenever you plug your phone into the USB socket to charge it!)

Admittedly we've got the all singing/all dancing media offering in the Golf, but the choice of apps it displays through CarPlay is so limited it's ridiculous! Apple Maps (yeah, 'cause they're really good!) and no Google or Waze option etc etc.

I haven't tried the Android equiv from my wife's phone to see if that's less horrific, but frankly the graphics quality and interface are poor compared to the OEM applications built in.

I do 100% agree that for people wanting to add functionality without speccing the options it makes absolute sense

Joe2.0E 26th September 2017 06:58 PM

I used the Apple version on a current shape A4 Loaner that I had for 2 days.
It works very well and it could easily become industry standard. The latest mmi on the A4 was also very slick. It was still great to get the my A8 back, you really miss air suspension on bad roads.

HPsauce 26th September 2017 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe2.0E (Post 132980)
It works very well and it could easily become industry standard.

Oh dear, does no-one ever learn. :(

Car technology evolves at a different pace to consumer technology, and neither are generally "open".
The fact that some seem to have converged at present means nothing; it won't last. :tuttut:

PsYcHe 27th September 2017 08:45 AM

I was quite impressed when using it in a hire Astra a few months ago. It works standalone on Android phones too, giving the same reduction in interface clutter for using the phone in a holder.

tonupkid 28th September 2017 06:02 PM

The built in navigation systems are a poor compromise at best. I'd welcome the opportunity to more easily access what I use on my phone. (Waze)

tc4332 28th September 2017 11:11 PM

I agree with you Nick.
Waze for me, I even use it in the coaches.
My high price TomTom is now relegated to the standyby/was useful drawer.