A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   my wind screen has **** its self ! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5978)

daviesbike 6th February 2013 09:12 AM

my wind screen has **** its self !

Went out to my car this morning and started it up put the heated screen on and blowers ect.. And a massive crack just appeared in the windscreen :( not happy.. How could that of happened ? Il need to give auto glass a call but what about the rain sensors ? And the sensor for the auto dimming ect and auto lights ?... There glued to the screen ?

notorious 6th February 2013 09:42 AM

...don't call auto glass if you want to keep the car...

PsYcHe 6th February 2013 10:55 AM

May have been a small chip there, but the quick change in temperature would have caused it.

Autoglass are very hit and miss (as are auto windscreens). The sensors are easy as they're glued on with a sort of silicon sealant thing that peels off.

If your insurers will allow it, get it done at Audi.

PsYcHe 6th February 2013 10:58 AM

May have been a small chip there, but the quick change in temperature would have caused it.

Autoglass are very hit and miss (as are auto windscreens). The sensors are easy as they're glued on with a sort of silicon sealant thing that peels off.

If your insurers will allow it, get it done at Audi.

ainarssems 6th February 2013 11:39 AM

The thing is that some dealers outsource windscreen fitting to third parties including autoglass.

Adrian E 6th February 2013 01:03 PM

Same thing happened to our a6 after being left parked in the sun all day - small chip turned into an mot fail crack - that was after it'd been 'repaired' about 3 months earlier on the insurance

Defo worth going with personal recommendation locally for replacement. If local dealer does their own or has someone trustworthy for an '8 it'd be worth checking

snapdragon 7th February 2013 08:11 AM

If mine broke I'd try and get an upgrade to the heat reflecting one.
I have done this with previous cars.

daviesbike 7th February 2013 08:17 PM

Heat reflecting one ?...im sure thats what i have .. It has a blue tinge to it and its auto heated ... But yes i will ask to get it done at audi if they will do it

SilverS8 7th February 2013 09:35 PM

Keep in mind that that the heat reflective mess up GPS signals inside your car.

I have double side windows and heat reflective windscreen and only way to Get GPS signals and my Toll Booth Chip to work is to hold it close to the Sunroof... Pretty annoying..

Yes the S do have RNS-D with Navi but i like to meassure my speed with the phone along with Waza Navi App:)

ainarssems 8th February 2013 05:39 AM

Mine had heat reflective windscreen and I 'upgraded' it to regular. Satnav would not work inside car unless door window was wide open and Ssatnav next to it. Now it works just fine. Less of an issue on D3 with more decent factory GPS.