A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Winter / cross climate tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13560)

Alex C 30th October 2017 11:52 AM

Winter / cross climate tyres

Hi All

There is 3-4mm left on my Sport Maxx GT (Rear) and RT(Front) tyres which I think are OEM fit (or equivalent Dunlop update)

Just wondering if other D3 owners go for full winters, cross climates, or don't bother for typical UK winters?

I know how good winter tyres are when its really cold / snowy coming from a few RWD BMWs but this isn't actually that often and I'm wondering if its worth the bother with the Quattro drivetrain?

Cheapish solution would be some winter wheels and tyres from e-bay but I'd have to buy another outdoor storage bin and wheel bags so its a bit of a faff.

Architex_mA8tey 30th October 2017 12:16 PM

I've got Yokohama W drive V905's fitted to our D3's for the winter season and theyve proved to be very good grip wise and also very hard wearing +++

snapdragon 30th October 2017 12:28 PM

For the last 5 years we have had no snow in the midlands to speak of. Glad I didn't invest in winter tyres. They say they are good in cold weather nyway, but so are my summer tyres. When it snows (over 5 years ago) I have found summer tyres adequate to get up hills due to Quattro but of course, still risky when steering.

HPsauce 30th October 2017 01:23 PM

I don't think all-season/cross-climate tyres are made in sizes suitable for 8's yet. Though I'm thinking about getting them for my Volvo when it needs tyres.

Personally I stick my winter wheels on the S8 regardless around this time of year, they do work better than summer performance tyres (I have Michelin PS4S now) when it's cooler; doesn't have to be freezing.
(And I use smaller wheels with deeper tyres in winter too, all equivalenced to keep the speedo accurate. And my nice summer wheels are kept away from winter potholes etc.)

Alex C 30th October 2017 01:35 PM

This is the dilemma, I had 2 days of snow 3 years ago and nothing since, so am trying to justify it for wet and frosty conditions really.

In the end however as I transport the sprog a lot on cold mornings I think the piece of mind is probably worth while for colder temps regardless of the white stuff.

Alex C 30th October 2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 134360)
I don't think all-season/cross-climate tyres are made in sizes suitable for 8's yet. Though I'm thinking about getting them for my Volvo when it needs tyres.

I had the Michelin Cross Climates on my V70 - they were very good in the wet and cold, and surprisingly wore very well, with 4mm of tread left after 20k miles from new.

They were a bit baggy in the dry summer conditions and squealed a bit on roundabouts if a little spirited, which in a wobbly Volvo is not very spirited at all.

So like you I have my concerns about using these all year round on an A8.

I think I might just get a duplicate set of wheels for winter, keeping one set as the 'good' wheels with decent sport tyres.

HPsauce 30th October 2017 01:48 PM

Spare wheels can be pretty cheap and are a one-off cost, mine are the 18's that came with the car (20's for summer) and you stop worrying about the inevitable minor damage you pick up in winter conditions.
I reckon I've recouped the capital cost purely in savings on refurbishment.

And in the long run you spend the same on tyres, possibly even a bit less as the correct tyres for the conditions actually wear a bit more slowly.

richardracer 30th October 2017 04:53 PM

Winter wheels and tyres for Audi A8/S8 D3

Hi Alex,

I am selling my S8 winter wheels and tyres after selling my D3 S8 (see thread on here). They are 18" by 8" rims with Dunlop D3 winter tyres with 3- 4 mm tread. Rim style is standard D3 S8. Pictures and prices in the thread on sale of my D3, £350. Let me know if you are intereested. I also adopted the approach of fitting on Dec 1st, taking summer wheels for refurb and swapping back in March.

Cheers

Richard

Alex C 30th October 2017 05:40 PM

Hi

Thanks, just aquired a duplicate set of 19” shod with winters however, otherwise I would’ve taken you up on that.

But this way I get to keep the car looking as is whilst maintaining the other set in good nick

https://i.imgur.com/yEQj9Eml.png

David's8 30th October 2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardracer (Post 134373)
Hi Alex,

.... I also adopted the approach of fitting on Dec 1st, taking summer wheels for refurb and swapping back in March.

Cheers

Richard

Thats a short winter you have down there! This morning it was 3degC and I am considering just when to put my winter wheels in the coming weeks!! I think that last year the winters were on from early November to late MArch. :ROFL: