A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bonjour my English Chums (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13243)

Audidothat 25th July 2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1781cc (Post 130736)
Does the 8 fit on the tunnel then? I thought people said it didn't?

It is a very tight fit!

tonupkid 25th July 2017 02:03 PM

It fits just fine. There are bigger cars out there

Johnmed 25th July 2017 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1781cc (Post 130736)
Does the 8 fit on the tunnel then? I thought people said it didn't?

Yes it does fit mate. Tight as a mofo, but it does.

Today we gained this for our onward journey. Apologies to EVERYONE who will be behind us.

1781cc 25th July 2017 06:46 PM

Good to know! I thought it was Ferries only for the 8 +++

tc4332 25th July 2017 06:47 PM

Yep, the 8 fits OK, even the L will go in. Just take it easy the first few times. More space than an ASDA parking bay!!!!
But then I've taken 12 metre coaches big (wheel on each corner) trailers on there. Lots easier than reversing on ferries though.
The twice a week runs into Spain were a lot of years back, no tachographs then and we used to carry three log books each. Traffic is much heavier now, speed limits, cameras and Gendarmes are much stricter. I used to cruise at 110 MPH as well in those days. My big old Duple Dominant II AEC was a beast, slow to get moving but once on the way would rarely have to change down. On the way home on Sunday mornings I used to reach Wigan four and a half hours after leaving customs at Dover. Doubt that could be done nowadays even in S8s (legally that is) :D

Johnmed 25th July 2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 130777)
Yep, the 8 fits OK, even the L will go in. Just take it easy the first few times. More space than an ASDA parking bay!!!!
But then I've taken 12 metre coaches big (wheel on each corner) trailers on there. Lots easier than reversing on ferries though.
The twice a week runs into Spain were a lot of years back, no tachographs then and we used to carry three log books each. Traffic is much heavier now, speed limits, cameras and Gendarmes are much stricter. I used to cruise at 110 MPH as well in those days. My big old Duple Dominant II AEC was a beast, slow to get moving but once on the way would rarely have to change down. On the way home on Sunday mornings I used to reach Wigan four and a half hours after leaving customs at Dover. Doubt that could be done nowadays even in S8s (legally that is) :D

Jeez, I can't imagine driving a coach, never mind backing it up WITH a trailer. Interesting how things have got slower, that's progress I guess! I'd noticed myself that journey times seem to have been increasing since I passed my test at 17 in 1997, while my cars have got faster...

tc4332 26th July 2017 08:54 AM

It's persisting down here in Wigan this morning and it brought a memory back.
We often used the Sheerness to Vlissingen ferry and that was a reverse down the ramp. One Saturday night the water was pretty rough with the ferry going through some twenty feet of verticals. Luckily that particular day I did not have a trailer. Boarded in two stages, sat on the hard standing boot towards the ramp and wait for the whistle, steam backwards at a high rate and stop on the ramp, wait for the next whistle and dash off the ramp onto the ferry. The good thing about that ferry was that the passengers walked on instead of riding in the coach.
Another ferry we used was the old train ferry from Folkestone to Boulogne and that was very tight. Trains run on tracks so they could minimize the clearance resulting in very little wiggle space for us. They were one door boats as well.
Even earlier we travelled Dover to Ostend on the Mail Boats, no ramp. Lifted on and off by crane and parked on the open aft deck.
Have you ever used the Greenock to Dunoon? They are rather small ferries. They used to load us first and we drove to the other end with my seat hanging over the ramp there. On the journey I used my wipers so that the passengers could see the sea. Gwen promised once that if the ferry sank she'd kill me.
Oh Happy days.

Johnmed 26th July 2017 09:15 AM

Woh. The threat of double death from SWMBO. That's enough to keep a man awake at night...

YorkshireBloke 26th July 2017 08:29 PM

Another reason to take ferry...

LPG = no EuroTunnel...

Really tight fit helps me be less ****ed off. :-(

Robert

tintin 29th July 2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 130750)
It fits just fine. There are bigger cars out there

True: my Model S fits, but only on the upper/SUV level, if I have the 21" rims fitted, otherwise it's serious kerb/tunnel rash...:(