A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   MFSW into a 1996 4.2 Q? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12410)

green A8 9th December 2016 08:14 PM

MFSW into a 1996 4.2 Q?

Sorry if this particular question has been asked before.
Is it doable to retrofit a MFSW to a 1996 D2 4.2 Quattro? this car has not got sat nav fitted and just a radio cassette with multi CD fitted in boot.

The only reason I'm asking is that the old very basic steering wheel with no features on it is well past it's best, in short it looks a mess.I happen to have a spare MFSW in very good condition with controller I may have a slip ring for this steering wheel as well. I've looked through other threads including one written by 'IT' but the info contained seem to refer to much newer versions of the D2 fitted with tiptronic steering wheels, a feature my car has not got. Being a 1996 car it is blessed with the full loom, not too sure if that is a help.

I'm also unsure as to what if any of the MFSW features could be made to work. I just happen to have the required parts gathering dust on a shelf. As long as the airbag performs as advertised if or when needed I'll be fairly happy. That said, if I could control the volume of the radio that would be a bonus.

I look forward to your replies, thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Conan_the_Librarian 10th December 2016 08:44 AM

An interesting project. Does your 8 not have Tip or have I read that wrong? With the appropriate slip ring in place, even if the loom doesn't have the right wires you could add the ones needed. There is a thread somewhere on here where someone modified BMW (spit) paddles into an 8 steering wheel using the appropriate slip ring.

Architex_mA8tey 10th December 2016 09:40 AM

As I remember it, doesn't the earlier pre-FL cars have a full wiring loom etc for all options? I'm sure IT will be along soon to comment!! +++

HPsauce 10th December 2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 121030)
As I remember it, doesn't the earlier pre-FL cars have a full wiring loom etc for all options?

Wakey wakey Neil! :tuttut:
Quote:

Originally Posted by green A8 (Post 121014)
Being a 1996 car it is blessed with the full loom, not too sure if that is a help.

IT 10th December 2016 10:44 AM

2 problems will happen when you attempt this:

(1) a 1996 car should have the early spline, which means you need an adapter to physically get that steering wheel to fit on that column

(2) and rather fundamentally, there was no canbus until the facelift, so although you can fit one, it won't actually be able to do anything. Interestingly, if the MFSW has got tiptronic on it, then that would actually work as the MFSW controller just generates two latching contacts up and down gear that you connect to the TCU. Likewise, if it was heated, that would work too, but sadly nothing you can do about the audio....

HTH +++

Architex_mA8tey 10th December 2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 121035)
Wakey wakey Neil! :tuttut:

lol long day yesterday. . . but I was right about IT coming along soon and telling you all. . . not that it was the best news! :p

green A8 10th December 2016 02:00 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply gents.

It looks as though the MFSW is a non starter then. I'll have to see if A8 parts have a standard or maybe tiptronic steering wheel in their vast stockpile of D2 parts. I assume that the part must be off a PF to fit onto my 1996 car. The steering wheel on the car at the moment is dire and I suspect that the MOT man wouldn't like it.

I was unaware that the MFSW had a different spline set up. Thank you for that info 'IT' it saved me finding out the hard way!

HPsauce 10th December 2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green A8 (Post 121057)
I was unaware that the MFSW had a different spline set up. Thank you for that info 'IT' it saved me finding out the hard way!

I think that what Ian meant was that the spline design changed at a certain build date for ALL steering wheels and that your early car is different to later models.

A8parts will know such things so have your VIN to hand when you call them and they will advise what they have that will fit properly.

Is the MFSW you have from a later vehicle?

IT 10th December 2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 121058)
I think that what Ian meant was that the spline design changed at a certain build date for ALL steering wheels and that your early car is different to later models.

A8parts will know such things so have your VIN to hand when you call them and they will advise what they have that will fit properly.

Yup. This ^

1997 saw a new spline iirc, across the whole of VAG. In 1996 you didn't get tiptronic or MFSW wheels, so a direct swap is out.

This is what you need to make your world much easier:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131906355326

or, here and save a couple of pennies:

https://store.prestigemotorservices..../view/id/34426

I can see a8parts have sold dozens of them, so you're not alone in your quest +++

green A8 10th December 2016 03:20 PM

Thank you once again for that information gents. I have just ordered the suggested spline adaptor from A8 parts via the link kindly supplied by Ian. That should enable me to fit the MFSW I have albeit with none of the MF parts working.

Ian As you're the expert on this forum I wonder if I could pester you to answer another question. I plan to fit a solar sunroof on our other 1996 D2. This car also has the 'full' loom fitted. Would the required solar sunroof harness be present within the loom (fuse, relay block ect)?