A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Looking Some Assistance in Stripping Electrical Loom (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14623)

steamship 3rd December 2018 12:27 AM

Looking Some Assistance in Stripping Electrical Loom

Currently working on one of the retrofits, and looking for a bit of assistance. Because of the complexities and options available on the D3, a retrofit isn't such an easy task, what with all the electrics.

I've gone through the two relevant looms and identified what I need to swap around between them. I'm just wondering what others have done in such a situation. I've seen the videos of people making the looms on a table, which has fittings to keep everything in place.

I only need to strip back about half of the loom, but don't want to end up with a pile of spaghetti at the end of the day. I had thought of using a sheet of plywood and hammering nails in at strategic locations, but can't figure out how to keep things in place.

Joe2.0E 3rd December 2018 06:59 AM

Crocodile clips or clothes pegs at intervals along the main lengths of the loom until you are ready to tape it back up can work well.
Lots of photos/labels so you know what’s what.

MikkiJayne 3rd December 2018 08:48 AM

Velcro cable ties :)

steamship 3rd December 2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 146639)

Brilliant idea, +++ and cheap enough that I could nail them in place to ensure everything is nice and taut.

tc4332 3rd December 2018 08:45 PM

Good luck with the loom Sean.
As usual, slow, easy and methodically.
Plenty notes, labels and photos.
You can do it, you're organised.

steamship 3rd December 2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 146654)
You can do it, you're organised.

You ain't seen my house in a while :tuttut:

Definitely taking it easy. Got the parts at the start of March (remember the big black obelisk), and just started on the job at the start of December. What are the chances of me getting it complete before the annual meet in June 2019?

Delboy 4th December 2018 03:48 PM

Why go to the length of stripping the loom, can't you just add what you need and cloth tape it to the existing loom

steamship 4th December 2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 146675)
Why go to the length of stripping the loom, can't you just add what you need and cloth tape it to the existing loom

I need to remove part of my existing loom and add that to the 'new' one I have for the retrofit, which also has a not so similar section of loom that would no longer be required.

I'm taking the 'lung transplant' approach whereby the useless lung is removed completely and replaced, as opposed to the 'kidney transplant' approach whereby they leave the useless kidney in place and just add the replacement. It was the best analogy I could come up with.

Delboy 4th December 2018 05:20 PM

Fair enough, lot o work mind.

Look forward to the pics of progress