A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Triple-jet washer upgrade (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9447)

snapdragon 25th January 2015 09:37 AM

Triple-jet washer upgrade

I just 'signed-off'

Delboy 25th January 2015 09:55 AM

So did you just bodge them in with out spacers? The spacers are availble on ebay from the good ol USA

snapdragon 25th January 2015 04:40 PM

Yes, it's not a botch but more of an improvisation

tc4332 26th January 2015 03:36 PM

Hi Snapdragon,
Very good, easy & well worth doing:love:
The web site on your link is a trader on Polish ebay.
I have located two stealers in Germany that have the full kit in stock. One in Gottingen and the second in Osnabruck. I have purchased the kit from the Osnabruck dealer only because I was stationed in the area for nine years.
Here is the link:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-On-Kit-3-strahl-spritzwasserdusen-Audi-A4-A6-A8-/321472127040?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item4ad93b6040
In the details translation they have put Only for left-hand drive
The part numbers are exactly the same as the ones in your report so I think that there is not a difficult problem here. It may be that Audi produced two versions of the kit, one for left hand and one for right hand drive cars.
I'll let you know how it works out.

tc4332 26th January 2015 07:48 PM

After nine years I knew the area rather well.
First there in May 1958 and spent the time in Bielefeld and Detmold, still have German friends there. Guys who worked for me and neighbours. Most of the blokes are gone now but I am still in weekly contact with widows, children and grandkids, sort of extended family. Left the Army and Germany in November 1967. During my coach driving days I was always passing through and staying for various lengths of time in all areas of the country. My wife and I were at Potsdammer Platz in November 1989 when the wall was broached. Not visited for a couple of years now but we are planning a trip to Frankfurt next January for an Arts & Craft Exhibition. I'll be going as the official translator for our daughter and her husband:Confused:
Main thing is I'll have a chance to drive our A8 the way she was built to be driven!! Last time over there we still had our Nissan Maxima and cruising for a couple of hours at 140mph was grand. Ripped of a few Mercs that were travelling with me:ROFL:
Use to go summer weekend camping near Gottingen and winter skiing down there.

snapdragon 27th January 2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 87950)
After nine years I knew the area rather well.

Ah, makes me want to visit again.

tc4332 27th January 2015 05:27 PM

Bump ++++++

ScottD3 30th January 2015 02:37 PM

How much movement was there?
Couple of mm each way?

I wonder if the spacers would alloy us to fit the fan jets from Skodas?
I got a set in the garage.

snapdragon 30th January 2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottD3 (Post 88149)
How much movement was there?
Couple of mm each way?

I wonder if the spacers would alloy us to fit the fan jets from Skodas?
I got a set in the garage.

Yes, just enough for the plastic tabs not to catch. Let us know if the fan jets fit I much prefer those.

ScottD3 30th January 2015 02:46 PM

Sounds like the same as the fan jets.
I need some spacers to try.

If you find a supplier of spacers let me know, I'll have two.

tc4332 30th January 2015 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My full kit arrived from Germany this morning. The CD has a number of Audi "How2DoIts" in various languages. The English one is exactly the same as shown earlier in this thread.
I am attempting to attach a photo of the two steel bits that I will not be using. The aluminium pieces are exactly the same. All the spacers are actually plastic. By designating steel I meant the spacers for the A4, whilst aluminium is meant for A6/A8.
In retrospect I could not see any difference between them, but maybe the slot thickness???
The inclement weather and SWMBO are stopping me from doing all sorts of little jobs on the car, wish I had a big garage:(

Ray

snapdragon 30th January 2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 88157)
The aluminium pieces are exactly the same.
y

Thanks for the info. do you think they are exactly the same but just made of different metal to stop galvanic corrosion?

tc4332 30th January 2015 06:36 PM

To my uncalibrated eyeball they are physically exactly the same:)

tc4332 31st January 2015 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the three jet using the spacers for the A8 so now I have two spare spacers that are for the A4.
Did not realise yesterday that the spacers have a longitudinal slot that fits over the bottom edge of the aperture. You cannot go wrong here because the piece is shaped to fit exactly. The attached photo shows one of the spare spacers with the ruler sitting in the slot. You can also see the size of it.
Only one problem, that is adjusting the jets. Being old fashioned I have always managed in the past using a sewing needle, but for these I will have to obtain a tool.
My opinion is that it is a worthwhile mod.

snapdragon 31st January 2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 88173)
Only one problem, that is adjusting the jets. Being old fashioned I have always managed in the past using a sewing needle,

Me too, my second hand parts were adjusted within an inch of the correct target spots but the tools are £4 delivered on ebay anyway so might get one in the summer when I'm not using the expensive winter screenwash!

Carpet shops have long strong pins which might be suitable - they use them to attach paperwork and signs etc...

tc4332 31st January 2015 07:04 PM

I'm "pinning" my hopes on you!!!:ROFL:
I have ordered one of the £4 ones on fleebay. Machinemart have one but not in the shop, internet only.
My jets are way out but at speed they'll do till the postie drops my packet off.
Glad your window is OK. I made hay today while the sun was shining and no wind. Changed most of my interior lights to LEDs.

ScottD3 31st January 2015 08:09 PM

I use one of these.
http://www.mpdirect.co.uk/p/37264/dr...-4oaAnFr8P8HAQ

Works well.

tc4332, The A4 spacers, what would you want for them?
I can test out my Skoda jets and possibly try and get some more made for the rest of us.

Burnzybubbles 5th February 2015 07:20 PM

I can't understand why these cars didn't have fan jets, my 51 plate passat had fan jets and rain sensing wipers, was a lot cheaper and also older :Confused:

Fan jets are loads better than standard ones, I retro fitted them to my e39 as that was the same, I can't wait to get my rain and light sensor fitted though, I hate having to fiddle with the wiper settings all the time :ROFL:

snapdragon 5th February 2015 08:07 PM

I agree, I had a 51 Passat and the fan jets were awesome compared to 2 pistol jets and did not need adjusting even thought there was a small up and down adjustment you could do with your finger.

ScottD3 7th February 2015 06:16 AM

Bit of a update and I'll do a proper one with pics later.

The adapters that you guys had in the triple jet kit works with fan gets.

One set ofadapters at £2.30 from Audi and fan style jets, i got non heated skoda for this test at about £10 each but heated is £25 from Audi will fit and work.

ScottD3 8th February 2015 05:15 PM

I fitted the fan style jets today with the adapters.
I thought it would be best to do it all in one thread but let me know if you wanted it moved to its own separate thread.

The pic below is the standard twin jet A8 washers and the fan style washer from a Skoda.
They are unheated version cause they was cheaper.
It looks like the heating plug comes out on the other side of the Audis. I don't think this will be a an issue cause there appears to be enough room and cable length.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psdchfsmie.jpg

Standard A8 Washer jet fitted. Just pull this out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psq8qnm4dc.jpg

Unplug the heater plug and feed pipe.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psiygi3uxs.jpg

Install the adapter.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...pslss1lwok.jpg

Reconnect the plug and pipe, then push the new jet in to position. Make sure you align the back where the adapter is first and then push the front in to position till it clicks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psx3nuiymf.jpg

Use a T8 torx to adjust the aim of the fan jets. this is a lot easier than the jets cause you just screw in and out to raise or lower the spray.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psjjmhakwd.jpg

That's it. You are done.

Adapter part number:
8e0955431

Fan washer part number
5M0955986C

Delboy 8th February 2015 05:47 PM

Good stuff, I have never had a car with fan jets before, are they better than normal jets or just different?

Also to clarify the part numbers is that for the alloy spacer and for a heated jet?

ScottD3 8th February 2015 06:58 PM

Plastic adapter and heated washer jets.

tc4332 8th February 2015 08:41 PM

Nice one Scott.
I'll phone Audi in the morning and order the fan jets.
Ray

snapdragon 8th February 2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 88686)
Nice one Scott.
I'll phone Audi in the morning and order the fan jets.
Ray

Not sure if you need to get them from Skoda if Audi don't fit them?
Fans are better (IMHO) as it is more evenly wet over the screen and the water isn't hitting the glass at such a high speed, it doesn't rebound onto the roof as much.

Delboy 9th February 2015 01:36 AM

Ahh that might be a negative do rme then as I like to give tail gaters a good soaking to annoy them to the point of backing off

ScottD3 9th February 2015 06:42 AM

The part number for the jets was fitted to skoda and VW.
Audi dealers can sometimes order in other VAG parts but it depends on the parts.

Fan jets is the best.
better coverage of water.

I have one set of adapters left is anyone is interested.
my non heated fan jets will be for sale as well when I replace them with heated.

tc4332 9th February 2015 09:10 AM

Just tried my "tame" Audi parts guy and he reports that though they can source a lot of Skoda parts this one is "Skoda only".
Trying local Skoda but a delay 'cos the parts chap is out collecting a car. Another 20 minutes wait :Confused:
Scott you are much better than me, you have put the spacers at the top of the aperture, that is towards the front of the car with the bonnet closed. I put mine on the other side which explains why I had difficulty adjusting the jets. That means my units are slightly further under the bonnet. I'll swap them over and try again after I've finished my cuppa :ROFL:

tc4332 9th February 2015 09:53 AM

Heated Fan washer x 2 ordered from Skoda, Bolton. Used them 'cos all the others are using "084" phone numbers.
Parts guy said not a Skoda part when I gave him "5M". I explained it was a Seat/Skoda/VW part and then he agreed. Should have it tomorrow.
If they work I'll be loking for a good home for my old twin jets and my not so old triple jets +++

Burnzybubbles 9th February 2015 10:27 PM

Thanks Scott D3 that's brilliant news, I do a lot of motorway driving and I'm forever using the washers esp at the moment with all the crap on the road, these will make life a lot easier :)

I'm quite pleased they can be retrofitted, along with that and the rain light sensor retrofit I'll be well on my way to making my life much more pleasant in the A8 +++

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 88673)
Good stuff, I have never had a car with fan jets before, are they better than normal jets or just different?

Also to clarify the part numbers is that for the alloy spacer and for a heated jet?

They give a better spread of screen wash, I don't know if you suffer the same but my washers miss the bottom left corner of my screen, it also uses less screen wash as it covers the whole screen in one go, this is my previous experience with them, at the moment I have to fill my screen wash bottle every week, hopefully I'll get 2 weeks worth out of the bottle once the fan jets are installed.

Burnzybubbles 9th February 2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottD3 (Post 88693)

I have one set of adapters left is anyone is interested.
my non heated fan jets will be for sale as well when I replace them with heated.

Are they plastic adapters if so how much posted?

ScottD3 10th February 2015 08:21 PM

Yeah they are plastic.

They are only a couple of quid.
you can have them, just sort me out with a pint or something at the next meet.

Burnzybubbles 10th February 2015 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottD3 (Post 88808)
Yeah they are plastic.

They are only a couple of quid.
you can have them, just sort me out with a pint or something at the next meet.

That sounds brilliant but what meet will you be attending next?

tc4332 11th February 2015 06:31 PM

2x Fan Jets ordered from Skoda on Monday, promised for Tuesday.
Tuesday I was out all day with a job to Oxford.
Wednesday phoned Skoda Bolton. Parts guy said your part is in, he had only ordered one, Oh Bugger. Clarified that I wanted TWO, promised for Thursday.
Tomorrow I'll phone before setting off.
There must be something about people destined to be parts department operatives, might be in the training :love:

ScottD3 11th February 2015 07:27 PM

I'll be at inters this year.

I wanted to work in parts.
Still do. I think it would be cool.

Delboy 11th February 2015 09:54 PM

Only so you could go sniffing round the stores to see what does and doesn't fit, I know I would.

tc4332 12th February 2015 09:06 AM

Phoned Skoda Bolton, Yippee!!!!
2 x fan jets in stock for me.
I will now ask permission from SWMBO to borrow the car and collect them.
As for working in parts departments, YES. The joys of snooping around and handling all the new goodies. First dibs at special offers. I want :ROFL:

tc4332 12th February 2015 04:58 PM

Got 'em. YES!!
Quick blast with the magic fingers and I have two Skoda heated fan windscreen washers fitted, adjusted (dead easy) and working correctly.
I now have a pair of twin jet and a pair of triple jet Audi windscreen washers looking for a good home.
Unfortunately I do not have any spacers left.
If nobody shows any interest I'll leave them in the car so they will be available at the Annual meet in Snowdonia.

HPsauce 12th February 2015 05:01 PM

Well done; I wonder if anyone knows of a similar solution for the D2?
(I discovered a while back that the fan spray nozzles for a Focus Mk3 fitted straight on my Mk1 and had the correct alignment too +++ )

ScottD3 12th February 2015 06:36 PM

What's the D2 jets like?