A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Is my interior fan broken? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5337)

Baryonyx 10th September 2012 12:48 PM

Is my interior fan broken?

Afternoon,

I've finally got round to bringing my A8 home today. As I was driving along, I've noticed that I don't seem to be able to get the interior fans blowing air.

I've included a picture below of the fan setting I had as I parked up:

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...riorfan016.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/v...riorfan017.jpg

Now, unless I'm missing a master control button somewhere (I don't have an owner's manual), there just doesn't seem to be any air coming out of the vents. When I'm driving along, there is the faintest wisp of cold air coming through the vents, as though cold air is being forced through the system but it's not actually doing anything.

It doesn't make any sound, even on the max setting here. I was speaking to a mechanic friend at lunchtime and he thinks it could be the fan itself that has packed in, and that removing it and testing it's circuit would be a good idea.

Or perhaps I am just missing a trick, and I don't really need a whole new fan motor? If I do need to get at the fan to test it, how would I go about doing that?

Chris

IT 10th September 2012 12:51 PM

Fans packing in altogether seems unlikely.

You have a solar roof, seems more likely that the relay isnt switching properly between +12 supply and the panels.

If this were the case, the faint wift of air you get through the vents would be dependent entirely on how sunny it is - not how fast you are going.

Maybe just a simple case of a relay issue ?

Baryonyx 10th September 2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 45932)
Fans packing in altogether seems unlikely.

You have a solar roof, seems more likely that the relay isnt switching properly between +12 supply and the panels.

If this were the case, the faint wift of air you get through the vents would be dependent entirely on how sunny it is - not how fast you are going.

Maybe just a simple case of a relay issue ?

How would I go about diagnosing if it's a relay? Is the fan system supposed to switch automatically from the solar power function to being powered by the car battery? The cold air coming in through the vents struck me as being about ambient temperature from outside the car. I think it was just outside air being forced through by the movement of the car...

If it is a relay, will I find the bum switch in the fuse box?

David's8 10th September 2012 01:18 PM

It may be a stupid question - but have you tried it in auto?

The selection you have there should provide air to the windows and thru outlets in the dash/centre console and rear door pillars so, with the fan showing max, you SHOULD be getting air out at fair rate. According to the manual, those controls can be operated separately or in combination.

david@a8parts 10th September 2012 01:18 PM

I would have said you were on the right track with the blower motor, we sell a lot of them so they are definately a common failing.

Under the bonnet take the top of the climate box and disconnect the blower and try putting 12V to the beige coloured plug and see if you get any movement. There is also a blower motor control by the side of the blower motor in the same box (hedgehog looking device) responsible for regulating the speed of the fan dependent on airflow past it and this also fails resulting in no power getting to the fan.

Baryonyx 10th September 2012 03:14 PM

I'm guessing it might be the solar roof relay, as it seems that problem is pretty well documented online. But then it could be the actual fan motor itself too. I won't know until I get a multimeter on it, and I'll need to order a new one of those ordered on Amazon.

I'm determined to get to the bottom of this and have it fixed as soon as I can. Not just because I love the car, and any teething issues will be addressed, but as winter draws in the fans will be essential. I often finish work at 2,3 or 7AM and if I was without a working heater then, well I'd be in trouble I suspect, even with the working demister strips in the rear!

Thanks for all the help so far. +++

Dezzy 10th September 2012 04:16 PM

I had to replace mine, when it started to go it would speed up and slow down in bends. If you can find somewhere where you can throw the car into a hard left (large car park) see if it starts up if not try right.

Reffro will remember the corner controlled aircon

ainarssems 10th September 2012 04:29 PM

My fan went as well, first became slow, then stopped but would run slowly for a while if helped to start by the hand. I took I out and apart to see if I could replace brushes but commutator were worn out so I got another fan from A8parts. Seams that they fail more on cars with solar sunroof because of extra running time when parked and working from sun.

Baryonyx 10th September 2012 05:34 PM

You would think they would have put some sort of function in to let you switch off the fan when you're out of the car if you don't think you're going to need it!

Multimeter now ordered from Amazon. I'm just looking forward to getting to the bottom of this issue so I can go on loving the A8. I took my brother out in it earlier today, the first time he has seen an A8 up close. He was blown away it.

Reffro 10th September 2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 45947)
Reffro will remember the corner controlled aircon

I certainly do....