A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Xenon Plus help (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2586)

Singh 10th February 2011 01:53 PM

Xenon Plus help

I met the potential buyer of my new car today and he seemed happy with it but one of the Xenon pluses has started to play up yesterday and although it Was fine today I've promised to have this sorted for him before he collects it. Now when I switch them on one headlight flickers and dies. Then sometimes it works. Could it be a bulb or is it more likely a ballast?

IT 10th February 2011 02:26 PM

You have 3 main components to a xenon light:

Bulb - If this had gone, youd get nothing at all
Ignitor - If this had gone, youd never get it lit either
Ballast - Keeps it going nicely once its lit.

Sounds like the latter? A8parts sometimes have lights in with broken lenses etc, but good ballasts... Its worth giving them a buzz +++

Singh 10th February 2011 02:35 PM

Thanks Ian, I spoke to A8 Parts but there are four different types of ballasts that it could be. They can't find out from my reg as they came from a donor car. Would you be able to help with identifying the right ballast so I can get it ordered asap +++

Singh 10th February 2011 07:24 PM

The lights were spot on just now as I drove back from the office. Could some wiring have been pulled loose or moved when doing the belt change?

Architex_mA8tey 11th February 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 18144)
The lights were spot on just now as I drove back from the office. Could some wiring have been pulled loose or moved when doing the belt change?

couldnt be an earthing issue could it Amar? :Confused:

jayzee 12th February 2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 18144)

Most likely as they were 100% before you did the work. Have a fiddle around in there with the lights on to see if you can get it to play up again.

Singh 12th February 2011 07:19 PM

Will do thanks, it flickers like it's about to light up then doesn't now so could it be the ignitor? On the plus side I've been running the car on V Power as too lazy to go to the LPG filling station and it drives like a dream. Wish I'd run it on petrol more often. Could someone tell me where the ignitor is and where to find it?

Architex_mA8tey 12th February 2011 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 18195)
Will do thanks, it flickers like it's about to light up then doesn't now so could it be the ignitor? On the plus side I've been running the car on V Power as too lazy to go to the LPG filling station and it drives like a dream. Wish I'd run it on petrol more often. Could someone tell me where the ignitor is and where to find it?

should look like this Amar +++ from memory it is normally inside the housing

Singh 18th February 2011 10:08 PM

Thanks Neil, I popped into Revo yesterday, I couldn't even work out how to get the bulb out. The Xenon plus design on this is different to the ones on my S8. The ballasts aren't mounted to the headlight for starters. Ben had the bulb out in seconds and said it's blown so I will swap them over to see if that's defiantly the case then get another on order otherwise its going to start getting expensive.
As it's dark when I leave work the car hasn't moved for a good few days (apart from my Revo visit yesterday) but I got my dad to drop me to work in it this afternoon and it felt amazing being driven in and as my dad drove off at snails pace (as usual) it made a lovely awesome V8 vruuum noise. I haven't been bothering with LPG lately. V Power all the way and about 24 MPG on the way to Revo +++

Singh 19th February 2011 04:34 PM

Ben was spot on, turned out to be the bulb in the end. How very odd but at least it's not something more expensive. +++