A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Everything Else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Automatic boot opener (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4346)

47p2 8th March 2012 08:49 AM

Automatic boot opener

The motor for opening the boot lid on my A8 is not operating properly. From what I've read the hinges need to be completely free so that no friction holds back the operation of the motor. I have spent a fair amount of time and efforts lubricating the hinges to ensure they are operating properly but still the lid requires manual assistance.

I know that the motor needs replaced as they have a tendency to get weak and are then unable to lift the lid. I have managed to purchase the latest upgraded one which I am awaiting its arrival and my question is...

Can anyone supply the fitting instructions for said motor, I've had a look in the rear compartment, but don't want to start removing anything until the new part arrives, but it would be good to have details at hand so that I can swap the motor when it arrives.

Next question regarding the boot...
The remote boot switch inside on the door doesn't seem to be working, has anyone had similar problems or does anyone know what the problem may be?

PsYcHe 8th March 2012 08:51 AM

Switch could be related to the motor issue, but I'll get the instructions for replacement sorted for you later (unless someone beats me to it). (Or search audiforums.us, there's a few threads there on it).

47p2 8th March 2012 09:05 AM

Thanks Richard, I would appreciate that +++

Dave@A8parts 8th March 2012 09:17 AM

We have noticed in the past the hinges have to be perfectly aligned for it to function properly.

There are 4 bolts that hold everything in place. Markers are on there so you can align it up correctly.

We have workshop insturctions for fitment on file and would be happy to email them to you.

If you want us to do this for you please email us at:

enquiry@prestigemotorservices.co.uk

PsYcHe 8th March 2012 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go.. This is from the audiforums.us thread. Someone documented their retrofit. The ELSAWin documentation is a bit crap.

47p2 8th March 2012 10:13 AM

Thanks for that Richard, makes perfect sense now.

Dave, I have emailed you re the hinge alignment, thanks

47p2 8th March 2012 01:26 PM

I've now removed the opener which is a simple two bolt job. It's the original motor part number 4E0 827 852 E and the new motor which I believe is the latest upgrade is number 4E0 827 852 H. I've also seen part number 4E0 827 852 G which is another upgraded opener, so it looks like Audi have been having problems with the openers. Just waiting on the new part arriving to fit it.

I also decided to remove the struts and give the hinges another dousing of oil, I couldn't believe how heavy the boot lid was without the struts.

47p2 12th March 2012 01:35 PM

New boot opener arrived today and if the old one was easy to remove it was a little more awkward fitting the new one. I had to lie inside the boot and get into positions I never knew were possible at my age, the biggest worry was incase I pushed the motor up too far and made a ding on the rear wing, but with a little care I eventually managed to slip it into position and bolt it on. The bad news is interior release button is still not working so I will have to investigate that further, I do wonder if it has a separate fuse somewhere? The good news though is the boot opens and closes no problem +++

You can see from the picture Audi have made the motor much larger (possibly the old motor was not powerful enough to lift the boot lid) and the outer casing is now made from alloy cast instead of plastic

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...boot_motor.jpg

47p2 12th March 2012 02:28 PM

Interior release button sorter, not that there was anything wrong with it :rolleyes:

The key position on the boot lid was in the incorrect position to allow it to open. :Confused:

IT 12th March 2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47p2 (Post 36192)
Interior release button sorter, not that there was anything wrong with it :rolleyes:

The key position on the boot lid was in the incorrect position to allow it to open. :Confused:

Ah, the old rtfm fix.... ;)

D2 had the same 'feature' iirc - For security..... Stops the boot being opened even if someone smashes the window, and manages to open the door....