A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A tribute to the D2 cabin sound insulation (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13189)

HPsauce 8th July 2017 04:07 PM

A tribute to the D2 cabin sound insulation

I think we're all familiar with the awful droning/rumbling sound of a passing "hot hatch" with an excessive aftermarket sound system.
(Almost as bad as the tinny tiss-tiss from headphones that started with the Sony Walkman - that should be a capital offence subject to on-the-spot execution, but I digress)

Anyway I was running my car today just sitting on the drive (retuning the DVB-T) and decided to listen to a bit of Pink Floyd to pass the time.
"Comfortably Numb" at a volume to make you feel exactly that was my "weapon of choice". :ROFL:

Part way through I realised I wanted something from the boot so stepped out; it sounded quite loud with the door open.
But when I shut the door it was almost inaudible, standing right next to the car.
A tribute to the standard of sound insulation Audi put into these cars. Double glazing probably helps too. +++

moltuae 8th July 2017 05:42 PM

I've noticed that too.

And good choice of music! I love a bit of Floyd, especially that particular track! +++

David's8 8th July 2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 130069)
I think we're all familiar with the awful droning/rumbling sound of a passing "hot hatch" with an excessive aftermarket sound system.
(Almost as bad as the tinny tiss-tiss from headphones that started with the Sony Walkman - that should be a capital offence subject to on-the-spot execution, but I digress)

Anyway I was running my car today just sitting on the drive (retuning the DVB-T) and decided to listen to a bit of Pink Floyd to pass the time.
"Comfortably Numb" at a volume to make you feel exactly that was my "weapon of choice". :ROFL:

Part way through I realised I wanted something from the boot so stepped out; it sounded quite loud with the door open.
But when I shut the door it was almost inaudible, standing right next to the car.
A tribute to the standard of sound insulation Audi put into these cars. Double glazing probably helps too. +++

Ah! a man after my own heart! Just sitting on the drive listening to good music on a (reasonably) good sound system! And with the barely audible background of a V8 +++
You are right though, the insulation IS good. Even quiet, detailed music (try acoustic guitar) sounds good (when inside!) and travelling at speed. I would love to hear a B&O system though.... I did mean to ask one of those lucky enough to have B&O at the annual meet if I could have a listen but never got around to it.

Norretal 8th July 2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 130078)
Ah! a man after my own heart! Just sitting on the drive listening to good music on a (reasonably) good sound system! And with the barely audible background of a V8 +++
You are right though, the insulation IS good. Even quiet, detailed music (try acoustic guitar) sounds good (when inside!) and travelling at speed. I would love to hear a B&O system though.... I did mean to ask one of those lucky enough to have B&O at the annual meet if I could have a listen but never got around to it.

David, I had Bose in my D2 and thought it was great, the B&O in the D3 is several levels above. Hopefully we'll meet at a future event and you can decide for yourself +++

tintin 9th July 2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 130069)

Try doing that in a Tesla...:-(....no sound insulation at all in those. Even making a normal voice call, at normal volumes causes a tannoy-level broadcast to all and sundry within 50 metres. Not very discreet, and surprising given that the rest of the experience is so quiet for the driver and occupants ;)

richardracer 9th July 2017 08:17 AM

Listening to B&O hifi

Hi David,

I have B&O in my D3 S8 and I will be at the ADI meeting on Sept 16th at Castle Combe if you want a listen. If memory serves, you kindly took all my loose stuff when I went on track last year.

Cheers

Richard

barzya8 9th July 2017 10:10 AM

No Richard, that was me who held all you loose stuff from your boot.
Cheers
David

moltuae 9th July 2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 130088)
Even making a normal voice call, at normal volumes causes a tannoy-level broadcast to all and sundry within 50 metres. Not very discreet, and surprising given that the rest of the experience is so quiet for the driver and occupants ;)

I've noticed that with other cars. One or two of the neighbours are in the habit of making hands free calls as they set off for work in the morning. You can hear ringing very loudly and pretty much every word of the person at the other end of the call when they pick up.

It's bad enough when you think you're talking one-to-one with someone to find out you're on hands free; imagine finding out you were broadcasting to the entire street! :ROFL:

tintin 9th July 2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 130096)
I've noticed that with other cars. One or two of the neighbours are in the habit of making hands free calls as they set off for work in the morning. You can hear ringing very loudly and pretty much every word of the person at the other end of the call when they pick up.

It's bad enough when you think you're talking one-to-one with someone to find out you're on hands free; imagine finding out you were broadcasting to the entire street! :ROFL:

Happens a lot with Tesla owners chatting whilst charging at superchargers, and many of them don't realise how loud it is - it's a bit like having a confidential conversation in a loud voice on an open train - not good!

HPsauce 9th July 2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 130096)
One or two of the neighbours are in the habit of making hands free calls as they set off for work in the morning. You can hear ringing very loudly and pretty much every word of the person at the other end of the call when they pick up.

Same here. Really annoying. :mad:

On a related subject I was sitting in the BA lounge in Terminal 5 the other day having breakfast (etc.) with SWMBO and a chap was sitting near us (in the dining area) not eating but just having a very loud business phone call.

In the end I just stared at him until he noticed me watching and paused. I told him (politely) that it was really distracting listening to one half of a very loud conversation while trying to eat and that there were other more suitable places to indulge. :tuttut:
He toned it down but didn't bother moving.