A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Moving up to 20's at last (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9493)

HPsauce 2nd February 2015 04:14 PM

Moving up to 20's at last

I know my S8 isn't an FE, it's actually later than most of those and first registered in late 2003. :Confused:
But it only has 18" wheels, summer and winter.

I've just ordered a full set of five FE 20" wheels from our sponsor which will need a full refurb before use later in the year. +++

The plan is to use the factory-fit 18" FL Avus wheels as winter wheels next year, so I will move the tyres to them from my current 18" winter wheels once this winter is over.

The current (five) winter wheels are the PF S8 Avus design and they will probably be available in a few months time, possibly with some part-worn summer tyres. If anyone is interested please PM me, they are in reasonably good nick though most could probably do with a minor refurb due to a few scratches and scrapes. Hub caps are all in good condition. :cool:

My plan is to have the new 20" wheels looking great and with new rubber for the summer meet in Wales. :D

Professor Peach 2nd February 2015 06:51 PM

Excellent. They will look great with fresh refurbishment and new rubber. Let me know when the old 18's come up. I still need some winters at some point when funds permit.

HPsauce 2nd February 2015 07:08 PM

OK, will do. The PF 18" Avus make pretty good winters as the faces and rims are less exposed to kerbs than the FL version. +++

HPsauce 4th February 2015 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 88305)
I've just ordered a full set of five FE 20" wheels from our sponsor which will need a full refurb before use later in the year. +++

And they've arrived. All nicely packed and the delivery guy was a car enthusiast (Triumph Herald!) so we had a bit of a chat while he unloaded. :D

The tyres however are a different matter, not that I was expecting any that I would use. :tuttut:
There is one single wheel that our sponsors have had for a little while, that had a decent-brand 255/35R20 the size I think I would expect, but old and worn so maybe a possible spare once it's been checked?
The other four came from a recent arrival and were a mixed bunch to say the least. One 255/35R20 and three 255/30R20. :eek:
And the tyre brands were all different, two I'd never even heard of! :eek3:

Based on this I don't think it had been owned recently by anyone here.......

I'm sort of tempted (subject to checking it's OK) to keep the single wheel "as is" as a spare (not refurbed) as it's still got much of its original finish (see photo).

Professor Peach 4th February 2015 02:45 PM

No Andrew - get them all done. You'll regret it if you don't! +++

Professor Peach 4th February 2015 02:56 PM

A spare wheel well should look like this......... +++

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ps8kdtezvh.jpg

Adrian E 4th February 2015 04:27 PM

Mine looks just like that too :)

Ref the elderly tyre, I threw away an original pilot sport with good tread as it was as old as the car! There's no set age limit for three as its use and conditions that influence a tyre's life more.

I also had the conundrum about refurbishing my original diamond cut wheel to match the powder coated ones - in the end I did as it means I can alternate the wheels if I need to. My current spare is the best of the pilot sports that the previous owner had fitted in 2010. I have another spare that also dates to 2010 if it's any use? It's stored in the roof of my garage

HPsauce 4th February 2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Peach (Post 88443)
get them all done. You'll regret it if you don't!

As the others have to be repainted I'm going to leave this alone for now and investigate if the diamond cut finish can be resuscitated.
If it can I'm sure there's someone out there who would want it, otherwise I'll match it to the others. :cool:

Singh 4th February 2015 07:11 PM

HP, I've had some 275/30/20 tyres from my RS6 sat in the garage for a year, about 5-6mm iirc, Contis I think. Can check if you're interested in taking them off my hands. I changed to Goodyear Eagle F1's, nothing wrong with the Contis, was just my preference.

HPsauce 4th February 2015 07:16 PM

Thanks Amar, but would they not be too wide as 255/35 is I think the norm?