A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Fault on read LED indicator (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14389)

MAM 12th August 2018 09:01 AM

Fault on read LED indicator

I have an issue where one of my rear indicators comes up with a fault after a period of use. The amount of time varies, and re-starting the car clears the issue for a short while.

The rear lights are LED. All other lights work, it is only the indicator that fails after a period of use while driving.

Does anyone have an idea what would cause this?

Cheers

mannyo 14th August 2018 08:01 AM

Moisture in the lamp cluster is common, you may find some of the LEDs are no longer working which will cause problems. could be not enough current due to LEDs not working or maybe a short circuit is causing an over current condition.

MAM 12th October 2018 11:28 AM

I have taken the unit apart and cannot see an obvious issue - the bizarre thing is that when it is cold, the indicator works, but when it gets warmed up by the sun, it stops working.

I am wondering whether this could be a dry joint that is affected when it gets warm. Only the indicator is affected too - no LEDs are out either.

steamship 12th October 2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAM (Post 145577)
I have taken the unit apart and cannot see an obvious issue

Is it an easy job to take apart? I have an intermittent issue with the rear light on mine, which is due to two of the LEDs being faulty. Just wondering if mine is due to dry solder joints as well.

MAM 15th October 2018 11:45 AM

Yes, very easy - took me a little time to find the bolts, but open up the boot and at 90 degrees to the wing light cluster you will see 2 round covers - remove these and with a deep socket you can take out the nuts carefully - I dropped one as there is a gap before the trim.

MAM 28th December 2018 08:23 AM

I have been looking for a replacement rear light but things have worsened leaving me to consider that it is not the light at fault.

The indicator now no longer works, and when on a journey yesterday I kept getting a warning saying that all the outer rear brake lights have stopped working - as it was a long journey I could not test, but as the issue has grown into multiplecloght clusters, I am thinking that z control box may be at fault.

Where is the light control box as I may have to look at whether our sponsors have one on the way back from holiday. I may have to try to test whether it fixes the issue while I am there if it is easy to get to.

Do you think that the control box is the most likely issue?

Thanks.

chewy 25th June 2019 09:51 AM

Did you guy's managed to find the fault? I've got the same problem with the rear drivers side indicator, warning comes up at random times. Doing the same for passenger side brakes, but I have an old unit that needed changing as it failed on mot a few years back. Might try that and see if warning comes up.
Bit reluctant to buy replacement for both sides if they're fixable

MAM 25th June 2019 02:04 PM

I had to replace the led units inside the lights. I found some cracked lights being sold and swapped the internals over.

Condensation and water ingress had killed the led circuit boards. I had 2 light units to fix. All good now.