A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Orange drain plug - poor design (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15147)

johnny_quattro 2nd August 2019 11:14 AM

Orange drain plug - poor design

2 Attachment(s)
I've recently encountered the sloshing noise of water in the channels connecting the rear passengers vents on top of the propshaft tunnel. I did my usual trick to syphon the water with a suitable length of clear plastic tubing, which was both small and flexible enough to squeeze in between the vent fins... managed to extract/drain about a pint of water.

Moved on to the orange drain plugs either side of the transmission 'bulge' and discovered a pool of water on the front passenger seat footwell. I removed the weird orange drain plug that seems to be poorly designed (in my opinion) and cut about 3mm off the end with a sharp knife. See attached photos. Hopefully I won't ever suffer from this again.

HPsauce 2nd August 2019 11:38 AM

I think I did something similar last time I was in there; maybe just on one side?
Passenger side is marginally easier to get at so if I'm in a hurry I just do that one.
Not had any problems there for a while, fingers crossed.

The scuttle drains on the other hand are a bit more of a nuisance. :tuttut:
(Though hopefully when I have my "engine out" service at MJs in October they can have a "light trim" as well.)

johnny_quattro 2nd August 2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 151987)
I think I did something similar last time I was in there; maybe just on one side?
Passenger side is marginally easier to get at so if I'm in a hurry I just do that one.
Not had any problems there for a while, fingers crossed.

The scuttle drains on the other hand are a bit more of a nuisance. :tuttut:
(Though hopefully when I have my "engine out" service at MJs in October they can have a "light trim" as well.)

I did have a good poke around when my gearbox was done at KSM, and made sure they were clear. Looking back with the undoubted benefits of hindsight, I should have trimmed the similarly-styled ends of the big fat black pipes either side of the gearbox.

HPsauce 10th December 2019 06:26 PM

Having recently acquired an endoscope camera to check/probe the scuttle drains: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15325 I was wondering if it could also be used to check the aircon condensate tray without removing the transmission tunnel trim panels?
Is there a way in that anyone can think of, or do we just have to take the trim panel off and attack the orange drains directly?

johnny_quattro 11th December 2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 154177)
Having recently acquired an endoscope camera to check/probe the scuttle drains: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15325 I was wondering if it could also be used to check the aircon condensate tray without removing the transmission tunnel trim panels?
Is there a way in that anyone can think of, or do we just have to take the trim panel off and attack the orange drains directly?

After having had great success with my cowl/scuttle drains recently, I was thinking of much the same thing as the windows have now started to show condensation. I've resigned myself to taking off the carpeted sides of the transmission tunnel as I only did the passenger side last time. That will teach me to be thorough and not lazy. I'll check first on ELSAWIN to see if there's anything the endoscope camera can assist with, although something tells me we'll probably always have to do it this way with those pesky orange drain plugs. Having said that, if I do find that my passenger side is still clear, the best solution in my case would be to snip just a few millimetres off from the end of the squidgy orange plug on the driver's side too.

HPsauce 11th December 2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny_quattro (Post 154185)
After having had great success with my cowl/scuttle drains recently, I was thinking of much the same thing as the windows have now started to show condensation. I've resigned myself to taking off the carpeted sides of the transmission tunnel as I only did the passenger side last time.

I usually only do the passenger side as it's a lot easier, much less trim to remove. ;)

HPsauce 13th December 2019 01:37 PM

As the passenger footwell is in pieces anyway for relay box access I took the trim panel off today.
No significant water came out of the aircon drain, just a couple of drops, which is good. +++
I took the orange pipe out anyway as it didn't seemed to be seated properly (I was just going to blow through it) and found a few bits of debris caught, which I cleared.

Having trimmed the ends previously it was still flowing, though not perfectly until cleared.
Softened it in some hot water and pushed it back into the correct place. :cool:

27litres 26th December 2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 151987)

01E conversion perhaps?

spannerrash 26th December 2019 08:02 AM

This may seem like a bit of a dunb question but if I run my air con in the summer, with the car stood and I get two nice little puddles either side of the transmission tunnel, does that indicate clear drains without having to do any work?

MikkiJayne 26th December 2019 09:25 AM

Yes, thats a good sign +++