A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A6/S6/RS6 C6 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   RS 6. The Hunt. Sitting comfortably ? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9586)

mattylondon 6th March 2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 90347)
As for the grid not being able to keep up, I think there must be surplus capacity during the night to charge batteries, think how much juice is needed to power all the cookers and kettles at dinner time across the country, that said though expansion would be needed to keep up as more cars went electric.

Where you get that power from bothers me, I don't think nuclear is the answer, far too risky and how do you deal with the waste.

The tidal generation projects make sense to me, it's reliable and reasonably clean.

The Geek in me loves this web site, http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
It shows the current status of the National Grid and generation. Currently as I write it looks like we're at 65% capacity. I've seen it up past 55 GW on the coldest of winter days.

tintin 6th March 2015 11:03 AM

Very true Ian, and it'll still take a while, and hopefully won't result in just electric cars - that'd be very boring...:-(

It's an interesting debate though (and more than a bit off the original topic :) ), as the majority of EV charging will take place at off-peak times, when demand is low and that will continue to be the case.

It does take a lot of energy to convert oil into petrol in the first place however, and - depending on who you listen to - saving the energy from that conversion will make a significant contribution to the UK grid.

Delboy 6th March 2015 12:42 PM

Interesting site that Matt, surprised how much is coal and gas, at the current rate of expansion wind and solar won't be far from outperforming nuclear which I'm happy about.

ainarssems 6th March 2015 12:59 PM

Interesting indeed, I was expecting a lot less coal and wind and more nuclear an gas about the where it is. Also had no idea that hydro is so little in UK.

Zip 6th July 2015 11:23 AM

back on topic.....

...Ian, I need an RS6 Avant. What spec should I be looking for? There is a nice silver one with ACC and solar roof on autotrader at the moment for not much money. Any stand out at you at the moment....?

I need a sunroof.....other than that, not too demanding on spec. Kids would probably want rear tints or blinds.

Z

V8man 8th July 2015 07:14 PM

Great thread. Great car. The due diligence pre purchase is most impressive.

IT 24th July 2015 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip (Post 96555)
...Ian, I need an RS6 Avant. What spec should I be looking for? There is a nice silver one with ACC and solar roof on autotrader at the moment for not much money. Any stand out at you at the moment....?

I need a sunroof.....other than that, not too demanding on spec. Kids would probably want rear tints or blinds.

Z

Sorry, I've been away and out of the country and lots of other places....

I think the silver one you refer to is one I tried to buy. It was at a citroen dealership, and had been for months. It was at 25K, around 80K miles. Had some dodgy sounding remap I think, and the history wasn't full audi so no chance of getting an Audi warranty on it - but it was cheap and high spec. The Citroen dealer had no idea it was a very high spec, but on the afternoon before I was due to visit, he said it had been pulled from his stock list by group head office and he was no longer allowed to sell it.

With hindsight, it did me a favour as I love my saloon..... :love:

Sunroof and/or keyless seem popular options for resale, as is a full Audi history and extended warranty. Or, to be blunt, if you don't have those, expect it to be harder to sell when you're done with it.

If its been to MRC, that probably a bonus as it'll have been well looked after, but any remaps / upgrade from companies you've never heard of, I'd leave well alone.

The big, big, big thing about the RS6 is mileage. not age. Mileage.
Below 50K and you can expect to charge anything you like for it. 50 to 70 is middle ground and anything about 80k miles will need discounting to get anyone interested. Mileages over 100K will sit around for a long time and go for peanuts.

Although the later 2009 cars have 3G which is desirable, due to the recession hitting there are *a lot* of late registered 2008 avants with 2G on 2009 plates, so look very carefully at what you're buying. The facelift 3G car is easily worth a grand or two more than the aging 2G equivalent. The Saloon didn't come out until 2009 so all saloons are facelift, 3G. oh, and they're lighter and faster ;)

Watch for issues on DRC, and the engine oil seal, which is guaranteed to fail. Gearbox is sound and shouldn't cause any problems. Make sure you have a robust warranty policy with a multi thousand pound claim limit. So many jobs require the engine out, and that's 2K before you've even replaced any parts.

Its an RS. don't expect to run it on a budget, and you'll be just fine +++