A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Using Social Media to find a specific vehicle? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14143)

HPsauce 13th May 2018 05:40 PM

Using Social Media to find a specific vehicle?

OK, I'm looking for some advice here, probably from people younger than me!
I'm trying to track down a specific car and its owner, for good reasons. +++

I know the numberplate (because I want to buy it! - the good reason :cool:).
I know the make, colour (roughly) and model of car (easy peasy via MOT history). Next MOT due early July.
I even know where it's had its last few MOTs (don't ask!) and it's been the same place only a few miles from me. I've been there and they have no details of the owner and legally probably couldn't tell me them anyway (data protection!).
I'll probably go back to the MOT place again immediately before the first MOT date for renewal/continuation (in early June) and ask if they will pass on a note.

But I'm wondering if I could use some sort of social media to put the word out that I'm after the registration, find the car and contact the owner. Anyone have any constructive ideas?

paulrstaylor 13th May 2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 141438)
OK, I'm looking for some advice here, probably from people younger than me!
I'm trying to track down a specific car and its owner, for good reasons. +++

I know the numberplate (because I want to buy it! - the good reason :cool:).
I know the make, colour (roughly) and model of car (easy peasy via MOT history). Next MOT due early July.
I even know where it's had its last few MOTs (don't ask!) and it's been the same place only a few miles from me. I've been there and they have no details of the owner and legally probably couldn't tell me them anyway (data protection!).
I'll probably go back to the MOT place again immediately before the first MOT date for renewal/continuation (in early June) and ask if they will pass on a note.

But I'm wondering if I could use some sort of social media to put the word out that I'm after the registration, find the car and contact the owner. Anyone have any constructive ideas?

Can you not get the address from the DVLA?

IT 13th May 2018 06:00 PM

A bit vague on details there, but if its something rare and collectable, perhaps a forum or facebook group specific to its model might be a place for the community to point you in the right direction.

If its a newish car, or one that has main dealer servicing recently (possibly confirmable by the manufacturer) maybe the servicing garage has a way to get in touch with the owner ?

or stalk the MOT place....

I can't see the DVLA releasing the details easily unless a crime has been committed, and even then, I'm not sure !?.

Do we get any more details, or just left in suspense ?

HPsauce 13th May 2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 141439)
Can you not get the address from the DVLA?

No, they won't supply it (I've asked).

Car is a few years old, not being serviced by local main dealer (checked there, it's near the MOT station).
Not a "very rare" plate, but late 20th century rather than 21st. Vehicle is a fair few years newer than the plate and is oddly somewhat inconsistent to the plate which makes me think they may be open to selling (I have a better one on retention available to swap).

Just wondering if people know of or use any geographical social media, given I'm pretty sure what area it's in.

Norretal 13th May 2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 141441)

Just wondering if people know of or use any geographical social media, given I'm pretty sure what area it's in.

That's the route I'd take if I didn't know it's exact location, Andrew. Assuming you don't use Facebook I'd ask someone who does to post your request on a local group page, someone will know the owner and make them aware, or they'll see it themselves.

Architex_mA8tey 14th May 2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norretal (Post 141443)
That's the route I'd take if I didn't know it's exact location, Andrew. Assuming you don't use Facebook I'd ask someone who does to post your request on a local group page, someone will know the owner and make them aware, or they'll see it themselves.

Strangely you could also probably try the local largest "for sale or wanted" type sites as they seem to become a local point of all information, some of them have upwards of 30,000 users! +++

HPsauce 14th May 2018 11:10 AM

Gumtree is the only one I know something of; any others?

IT 14th May 2018 11:50 AM

So, I think I was being a bit slow here, but you want to buy the cherished plate off a car, not the actual car itself ?.....

HPsauce 14th May 2018 12:05 PM

Correct just the plate I'm after; trying to find it/owner, knowing only what geographic area it is "probably" in.

steamship 14th May 2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 141438)

They used to display where the actual MOT took place, but that was removed a while back, so I'll assume you got it that way. +++

As for how to get in touch, I reckon you do exactly what you said. Not necessarily stalk the MOT place, but go to them and ask them to pass on your details to the owner. You can even tell them why, so avoiding any suspicious looks. They won't be breaking any rules by disclosing any information, and if the owner of the car is interested in your proposition, they'll get in touch.

The only problem I see with the likes of social media sites for this is knowing which are the genuine requests and which are the nefarious (had to look that up) ones.