A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Creaking noise from rear end. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15086)

spannerrash 3rd July 2019 07:33 AM

Creaking noise from rear end.

That's the car's rear end not mine by the way.

Audi S8 d2 2002

The rear end of my car creaks when going over speed bumps, even slowly. I realise there are multiple reasons why this may be happening but are there any common culprits?

I understand the rear bushes etc are not that prone to wear, well not as much as the fronts anyhow so I was thinking the spring mounts? The rubber discs that fit bellow and above the springs (not sure what the proper name is).

Any suggestions welcome.

MikkiJayne 3rd July 2019 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The lower rear bushes are very much prone to wear, even on a low miler like yours. Its almost certainly those. The upper rear bushes aren't so bad though.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1562136400

#2 4D0 505 171L is in two pieces and is pressed in to the hub. Dealer only.

#4 4D0 505 171H is also in two pieces and is pressed in to the lower arm front. Also dealer only.

#5 is a single piece pressed in to the lower arm rear. This can be bought aftermarket from Febi or Meyle.

I would recommend you also check the condition of the rear track control arm and it's associated eccentric bolt at the same time, as these are almost always seized solid. You'll need a rear wheel alignment after changing the bushes, and if the TCA is seized the alignment isn't possible so it has to be cut out and replaced.

The number for that is 4D0 501 529H, also available from Meyle or Febi. The eccentric bolt is no longer available but the A6 C5 bolt can be used instead 8E0 501 387B.

Its about £350 in parts if you have to do the TCA as well, and a day to change it all if you have access to a press.

spannerrash 3rd July 2019 08:34 AM

Wow, thanks for that super quick response. Really appreciate it.

I'll get onto ordering the parts. I've already done the front end and was looking at doing a rear end suspension refurb as well but it seems some of the bits are now getting really hard to source.

There is no play in the rear that I can detect and the car has just flown through it's mot. None the less, I'll replace the bits you suggest as this summers project. I'm always looking for an escuse to fiddle and better my car.

Thanks very much for the part numbers, that is a real big help.

Cheers Frank

MikkiJayne 3rd July 2019 09:01 AM

The rear bushes are so constrained by the suspension geometry that even when they are completely ruined, there is no detectable play on the MoT. You can feel a definite improvement in the handling of the rear when they are replaced though +++

They seem to fail with age more than mileage, the main problem being the rubber bushing delaminates from the alloy housing which is what causes the creak. The rubber is rotating in the housing, rather than twisting.

spannerrash 3rd July 2019 09:38 AM

Thanks again.

It's gonna take me a while but I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks Frank

spannerrash 5th July 2019 05:42 AM

Can anyone recommend a good spring compression for getting the rear springs out please. I did a similar job on a 2002 A4 Quattro a couple of years ago and after trying 3 different compressors I couldn't get the springs out without lowering the subframe.

A manufacturer and model number etc would be much appreciated, one that has been tried and tested as I am still at the gathering parts stage. It may be a few weeks before I get around to doing the job and I don't want to be stuck with a compressor that is not suitable.

Thanks Frank

MikkiJayne 5th July 2019 07:34 AM

This one, using the two black yokes, is the only one I've found which can get the rear springs on the D2

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AmIAA...ba/s-l1600.jpg

Its about £75 on ebay. Its a clone of a much more expensive Draper tool.

Happy to hire mine out if it helps, rather than buying something you'll only use once :)

spannerrash 5th July 2019 09:09 AM

Thanks once again for the speedy reply and especially the offer to hire me your compressor. Its a very nice thing to do and I much appreciate it.

When you mentioned that your unit may be a version of a Draper one I remembered that a friend of mine had a Draper compressor. I assumed it would be a cheap claw type affair and not suitable. After calling him this morning this is what he has. Draper 60981. Looks similar to yours, do you think that will do?

I guess I could try it out and if no go then order one like yours.

Cheers Frank

MikkiJayne 5th July 2019 09:17 AM

Yeah that'll do it +++ Mine is basically a clone of that one.

spannerrash 10th July 2019 08:03 AM

Hello again all.

I am having trouble locating a part, for my suspension refurb 4D0505171L. Main dealer says NLA.

I have ordered from an online parts supplier in Europe but in all honesty am simply expecting them to end up refunding my money when they have wasted my time for a week or two.

Does anyone know of an alternative, I don't seem to be able to find any after market suppliers?

Thanks Frank