A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Identifying RNS-D switched power output(s) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16728)

HPsauce 6th July 2022 08:50 AM

Identifying RNS-D switched power output(s)

1 Attachment(s)
I'm wanting to find a circuit in the RNS-D wiring that goes "live" with +12V when the RNS is "on".
i.e. NOT necessarily when the ignition is on, but also when you just sit in the car and turn the RNS on manually.

I've identified one candidate in the CD wiring, and have used it in the past, so I know it works. It's labelled with a switch symbol and a +.
On the attached diagram it's between the CD-R and DATA-OUT pins of the CD connector.
For various reasons I'd like to avoid using that if I can.

There's a similarly labelled location in the LINE OUT block of that same connector, next to COM.
Does anyone know if it's the same or do I need to pull out the RNS and get my multimeter out?

I presume the LINE OUT block is used for audio to Bose amps and, in non-Bose like mine, for the rear speakers which I believe use an amplifier incorporated into one of the parcel shelf speakers.
Therefore logic suggests that pin is the signal for those amplifiers to turn on, so I should be able to use it.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1657105580

If anyone is wondering why, it's all to do with streaming to the RNS via bluetooth using the TV input.
That's the round DIN-style connector and the audio is the three "NF" pins - 1, 2 and 3.
But you also need +12v on the VID-ON pin to activate TV input, so I'm looking for an "easy fix".

IT 6th July 2022 10:56 PM

im 99% sure (deep in my grey cells) that the Audi RNS needs the TV tuner connected over canbus for it to recognise it is there and enable the TV input.

You should be able to prove this by disconnecting the round video cable and seeing that the video input is still enabled, as the canbus runs over the big blue connector.

There was a company that made a special canbus talking device that would fool the RNS into enabling the input so you could do things with it but this was maaaaany years ago so I don't recall who or what.

I am a big fan of oem, but I have to say the RNS-D has had its day imo. If you want to move forward and stay oem looking, the RNS-E has better options. I suspect an Mk II RNS-E with AMI and bluetooth adapter might be a winning combo and deliver far better sound overall, but (disclaimer) ive not tried this !

HPsauce 7th July 2022 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 170284)
im 99% sure (deep in my grey cells) that the Audi RNS needs the TV tuner connected over canbus for it to recognise it is there and enable the TV input.

Absolutely, 100% definitely NOT Ian, as I'm already using it for my reversing camera. No CANBUS required. +++
It may be that you need CANBUS to send commands to the tuner from the RNS (in fact I can't see any other way), but I just need dumb input.
It was the same when I had a DVB-T tuner, definitely no CANBUS but that was commanded by a separate IR remote control.

My car never came with a TV and I've just connected a CVBS to RGB converter that raises 12v on that VID-ON pin. As soon as that signal is there TV is available as an option and works. :cool:

IT 7th July 2022 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 170287)
Absolutely, 100% definitely NOT Ian, as I'm already using it for my reversing camera. No CANBUS required. +++
It may be that you need CANBUS to send commands to the tuner from the RNS (in fact I can't see any other way), but I just need dumb input.
It was the same when I had a DVB-T tuner, definitely no CANBUS but that was commanded by a separate IR remote control.

My car never came with a TV and I've just connected a CVBS to RGB converter that raises 12v on that VID-ON pin. As soon as that signal is there TV is available as an option and works. :cool:

That is interesting.... I remember the composite to rgb adapter requirement. I just have it firm in my head that the adapter on its own wouldn't work without a tv tuner present on the canbus (although the similar VW nav headunit worked with just the adapter)

I'm not going to argue against your far more recent experience than mine.... but it is going to bug me for days I can tell ;)

HPsauce 7th July 2022 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 170284)
I suspect an Mk II RNS-E with AMI and bluetooth adapter might be a winning combo and deliver far better sound overall, but (disclaimer) ive not tried this !

Well as it happens I did play around a bit with the RNS-E in my sons S4 Avant (before he chopped it in for an X5 :tuttut: ) and it didn't impress me enough to consider upgrading to one from RNS-D.

But back on topic Ian, do you happen to know if that second "switched" output in the LINE OUT block is the same as the first one in the CD block?