A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Everything Else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   D3’s 3.2fsi (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14762)

H-M3 17th February 2019 11:38 PM

D3’s 3.2fsi

Hi chaps and chapettes. With ULEZ proposal by the “son of a bus driver” coming in 2021 within the London surrounds, was thinking of looking at a 3.2fsi late model. What are they like in regards to reliability and running costs? Would love a d4 but funds don’t allow. Cheers

Audidothat 18th February 2019 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After reading your post I checked my car against the ULEZ on the TFL site as I am in Putney all week and apparently i’m Ok, so get an S8!!

H-M3 18th February 2019 09:50 AM

Thanks. Indeed very tempting just not sure about insurance etc plus I only drive 4K a year???

HPsauce 19th February 2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audidothat (Post 148217)
After reading your post I checked my car against the ULEZ on the TFL site as I am in Putney all week and apparently i’m Ok, so get an S8!!

I know this is a D3 thread, but a D2 S8 (mine) also passes. :Confused:
It's a very late FL model and was unusually first registered in 2003 which may confuse the system.
Just wondering if other D2 S8s (including PF) are OK for the ULEZ?

MikkiJayne 19th February 2019 03:01 PM

Early FLs have Bosch Motronic 7.1 engine management which is Euro 3 compliant. 2001 onwards use Motronic 7.1.1 which is Euro 4 compliant hence also compliant with the ULEZ. The only change in that 0.0.1 version is independent control of the cam timing solenoids and a warning light if the SAI system is broken. Apparently that made all the difference :rolleyes:

PF are pre Euro3. No pointlessly complicated emissions gear, just simple catalytic converters +++ Unfortunately also no tick in the ULEZ box either.

steamship 19th February 2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 148237)
I know this is a D3 thread, but a D2 S8 (mine) also passes.

Just curious (as I'm unlikely to be driving in London), so I tried my 3.7 D2 and it passes, as does my D3 S8. What confuses me though is how we get charged £555 road tax a year on the S8 because of it's emissions, yet it is clean enough to use in the London ULEZ zone. :(

HPsauce 19th February 2019 05:19 PM

It's mainly about pollution, i.e. secondary pollutants/particulates such as NOx/CO/HC/PM, not CO2 and Global warming.

So you can burn (currently) lots of fuel as long as you do it cleanly! :ROFL:

Interestingly, a decode of my build sticker shows a code for Euro III but not one for Euro IV, though I'm not sure when exactly that was defined/ratified (Wikipedia suggests not until 2005/6!).
Quote:

0GE Emission standard EU3

snapdragon 19th February 2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 148241)
Interestingly, a decode of my build sticker shows a code for Euro III but not one for Euro IV

Don't take it the wrong way - but the roman numeral versions are for trucks and buses and numbers for cars. I recently saw this on wikipedia and added it to my data banks.:D