A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   shock absorbers (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14814)

hunker7 13th March 2019 05:17 PM

shock absorbers

What's people's go-to brand when it comes to shock absorbers? For the first time in my ownership had 5 people in the car and rear suspension bottomed out which i'm sure it shouldn't do. :tuttut: My heart wants to go for B6 Bilstein, but being a daily motorway mile muncher I feel like that'll be a bit of a waste?

MikkiJayne 13th March 2019 05:32 PM

Bilsteins are sooo good though :love:

I'd use normally use Sachs (effectively OE) on anything else but they show the shocks D2 as NLA :(

Might need to do some investigating...

Are your rear springs intact btw? The bottom coil is prone to breaking off when they get rusty.

MikkiJayne 13th March 2019 05:43 PM

Looking at the online catalogues, something changed at 4D-Y-020000 but I don't know what. Both Sachs (NLA) and Meyle (£40-odd) have listings up to Y-020000 but nothing after that :Confused:

hunker7 13th March 2019 06:21 PM

Bilsteins are good :love: Have them on my S4 and I wouldn't have anything else.

Yes, Sachs is currently what I'm looking at and I fall under "before" 4D-Y-02000.

I will look at the springs, didn't think of that.

moltuae 13th March 2019 06:24 PM

I've had Bilstein shocks on mine for a few years now. Been great +++

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 148765)
Are your rear springs intact btw? The bottom coil is prone to breaking off when they get rusty.

As I found recently when I had the rear subframe replaced. And new ones are NLA. If you hadn't come to the rescue with those Eibach springs MJ, my car might have been off the road for weeks :eek:

Those Eibach springs have been great by the way. There's really negligible difference in ride height, if any.

Dezzy 14th March 2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 148768)
I've had Bilstein shocks on mine for a few years now. Been great +++

As I found recently when I had the rear subframe replaced. And new ones are NLA. If you hadn't come to the rescue with those Eibach springs MJ, my car might have been off the road for weeks :eek:

Those Eibach springs have been great by the way. There's really negligible difference in ride height, if any.

What happened to the old subframe, was it scrapped?

moltuae 14th March 2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 148784)
What happened to the old subframe, was it scrapped?

It was quite rusty, so yes it was.

hunker7 14th March 2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 148766)
Looking at the online catalogues, something changed at 4D-Y-020000 but I don't know what. Both Sachs (NLA) and Meyle (£40-odd) have listings up to Y-020000 but nothing after that :Confused:

Meyle is definitely tempting at £40 a corner :Confused: Meyle is meant to be good good right? Why such a price difference between Meyle and Sachs?

MikkiJayne 14th March 2019 07:42 PM

Meyle is decent stuff yeah. Visually, all of their stuff is well made, consistent quality control, good quality materials. I have a lot of Meyle parts on my own D2s and they are lasting well enough. Most of their stuff is half the price of OE like Sachs or Lemforder. I couldn't really say why tbh. For £40 a corner, those dampers are well worth a try compared to four times the price Bilstein.

hunker7 14th March 2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 148796)
Meyle is decent stuff yeah. Visually, all of their stuff is well made, consistent quality control, good quality materials. I have a lot of Meyle parts on my own D2s and they are lasting well enough. Most of their stuff is half the price of OE like Sachs or Lemforder. I couldn't really say why tbh. For £40 a corner, those dampers are well worth a try compared to four times the price Bilstein.

Might give them a shot. Being a daily mile muncher I don't fancy spending big bucks, rather spend more money on the S4 :ROFL: thanks for your input +++