A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coil pack on its way out? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14837)

RICKY D 21st March 2019 08:10 PM

Coil pack on its way out?

Evening all,

The 8 has intermittently been feeling down in power whilst simultaneously flashing an EML and mis firing. I suspect it’s a coil pack but could it be anything else? Do the coil packs just die when they get old on these or could there be an underlying issue that causes them to go?

I don’t have VCDS but I have a basic snanner which gave the codes P0308 and P0358. Can anyone confirm what these are for me please?

Assuming it is a coil pack or two, how do you work out which cylinder is which if you’re facing the car?

MikkiJayne 21st March 2019 08:19 PM

Cylinder 8 according to Google.

Numbering is

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5

looking at it from the front :)

ainarssems 21st March 2019 08:29 PM

Those codes are for cylinder 8 misfire and cylinder 8 coil feedback signal. Cylinder 8 is the last one towards back on the left side as you sit in car. Could of course be coil not getting power. Clear codes, swap the coil with another cylinder and see if the codes change or stay the same.

RICKY D 21st March 2019 08:37 PM

Thank you both.

Good shout on swapping the units around ainarssems that way I can determine if it is indeed the coil pack +++.

Will let you know how I get on probably over the weekend now.

RS6 21st March 2019 09:22 PM

Ricky PM me about vagcom! ;)

Have you got an old laptop handy?

steamship 21st March 2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 148982)
The 8 has intermittently been feeling down in power whilst simultaneously flashing an EML and mis firing. I suspect it’s a coil pack but could it be anything else? Do the coil packs just die when they get old on these or could there be an underlying issue that causes them to go?

I had a coil pack fail recently, possibly due to the car not having been driven since April last year. I didn't get any warning lights, but it just felt like you were driving on twenty pence pieces. Scanned it, got the misfire error code, so swapped the coil pack with another and took it for a drive. Rescanned it, and the error code was not against a different cylinder.

RICKY D 23rd March 2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS6 (Post 148989)
Ricky PM me about vagcom! ;)

Have you got an old laptop handy?

Thanks bud,but every laptop I buy lasts about 1 year and then becomes so slow it’s hardly worth using. I’ve given up on them :ROFL:

Cylinder 8 coil pack was replaced this morning and the error hasn’t returned yet +++

RS6 23rd March 2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 149039)
Thanks bud,but every laptop I buy lasts about 1 year and then becomes so slow it’s hardly worth using. I’ve given up on them :ROFL:

Cylinder 8 coil pack was replaced this morning and the error hasn’t returned yet +++

I've got a windows xp laptop just for vagcom thats all you want mega handy for diagnostic, ebay cable for £4.99 and your good to go +++

Glad you got it sorted!