A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Loss of Power :/ (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10695)

evo 20th October 2015 12:51 AM

Loss of Power :/

Guys,

Having some trouble here, and I'm at a loss for what to do...

2008, A8 Sport, 3.0 TDI..., 100k+ miles

Car was driving fine couple days ago, pulled into the drive and switched off.

Went to go out at night and there was just no power. It accelerated and changed gears fine, but just no "oomph". Took it back home and thought I'd let it sit for the night... wasn't in limp mode and went up through the gears to 6th fine and smooth.

Anyway, this morning, wake up to go to the office - and same issue... just no power at all. Super slow to accelerate up to speed, definitely no torque.

Went to the garage, plugged it in, said the turbo is fine, the gearbox is fine and though the engine had some fault codes it was nothing that should give these symptoms. (Codes: 13128, 06256, 12597)

So we considered a blocked DPF... so I bought Forte diesel cleaner, popped that in the tank and went to go and run it on a long run. This is where it gets interesting...

Car gets up to temperature fine, but when on the motorway the temperature gauge comes down from the middle to the first quarter line, and sometimes even below (towards the cold end of the spectrum).

I pull over worried what might cause this, also considering that I was trying to put it into a low gear to keep the revs high and raise the temperature. On local roads, the temperature went back to the middle. But get back on the motorway for the return leg, and the temperature starts to go down again! And on the return leg I didn't even shift down gears incase that was the problem.

What on earth is happening!?

Suffice to say, I still have no power so perhaps the DPF cleaner didn't work, or wasn't really the problem, I have no idea.

Cruise control also won't lock on.

Final note, before all of this ever occurred, as most diesels - under heavy acceleration it used to black smoke a bit. But now, even under heavy acceleration there's no black smoke, not even any white smoke as I expected from the DPF cleaner.

Anyone had this, or any ideas based on what I've described? Your help would be invaluable.

I'm based in Birmingham in case anyone is about wants to try and help assess what's happening here.

Architex_mA8tey 20th October 2015 02:07 AM

Possibly injector issues? Have you scanned the car fully with VAGcom to see what fault codes come up?

evo 20th October 2015 02:09 AM

Definitely feels like turbo not kicking in, engine seems fine to be honest.

I don't have VAGcom, but the garage had their own computer system and the three fault codes presented were in the first post but I think I didn't really make it clear... anyway they are:

Does any of the things I mention ring any bells to you?

evo 20th October 2015 02:10 AM

Also worth noting, I have no fluctuations of revs or anything like that. Stable 900 rpm at idle and steady while driving too.

Architex_mA8tey 20th October 2015 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo (Post 100958)
Definitely feels like turbo not kicking in, engine seems fine to be honest.

I don't have VAGcom, but the garage had their own computer system and the three fault codes presented were in the first post but I think I didn't really make it clear... anyway they are:

Does any of the things I mention ring any bells to you?

Hmm none of those codes come up on the ross tech wiki

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...01273#mw-pages

evo 20th October 2015 03:00 AM

I don't know what to suggest, pretty sure those were the ones displayed on his screen as I scrambled to jot them down on my phone!

What about the symptoms I'm describing, does that provoke any ideas?

ainarssems 20th October 2015 06:21 AM

13128- turbocharger electrical control
06256- engine mount
12597- intake manifold

Engine mount is not much of a problem but other 2 need to be investigated.

47p2 20th October 2015 06:23 AM

Turbo actuator stuck?
Throttle position sensor?
Fuel filter choked?
Fuel pump(s)?
Air filter?
Intercooler pipes?

evo 20th October 2015 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 100966)
13128- turbocharger electrical control
06256- engine mount
12597- intake manifold

Engine mount is not much of a problem but other 2 need to be investigated.

Thanks, are these two likely to cause the loss of power I'm describing? As well as this curious issue with the engine temperature?

evo 20th October 2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47p2 (Post 100967)
Turbo actuator stuck?
Throttle position sensor?
Fuel filter choked?
Fuel pump(s)?
Air filter?
Intercooler pipes?

So I assume that's a list of things that can cause the loss of power, but what about all the rest of the symptoms or the nice list of fault codes that ainarssems kindly decoded? Which of those would correlate?

I must admit when it comes to these electrical gremlins, I'm at a loss for what to do - terrifically complicated cars these A8s!