A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bonnet struts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15971)

The_Laird 16th November 2020 02:07 PM

Bonnet struts

I think my bonnet struts have come to the end of their life as the bonnet often shuts itself when I leave it open.

Are there any recommended makes of replacement strut, or makes to avoid (Chinese ones will be avoided, of course!)?

steamship 16th November 2020 04:59 PM

The brand names I came across for original suppliers are Stabilus, Lesjofors (two dots above the first 'o'), Triscan, Quinton Hazell, Delphi and Febi Bilstein, and I've only heard of the last two.

Lots available on eBay from the likes of Meyle and Magneti Marelli as well as 'other' brands, but MJs opinion is probably the best.

Part number by the way is 4D0823359F.

UPDATE: Forgot to add the specs for them if looking at other manufacturers for them. Length - 530mm, Housing diameter - 18mm, Piston rod diameter - 8mm, Eject force - 245N, Stroke - 215mm

The_Laird 16th November 2020 05:05 PM

Thanks for the data, Sean. Very helpful.

Ronin 16th November 2020 09:22 PM

I think phaeton chrome struts fit the A89 D2 just like the rear boot struts

johnny_quattro 17th November 2020 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The original struts that failed to lift the bonnet on my car were made by a Belgian company called HINSCHA with the '4027CV 0245N' code printed on the side of the strut casing. I did a bit of searching around on 'tinterweb' and eventually plumped for a set of front struts called Nitro Lift for my car from SGS Engineering. Work really well, easy to fit. I think they're up north somewhere, Derby (I just checked). I've attached an image of the measurements in PNG format.

The_Laird 17th November 2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny_quattro (Post 161033)
I think they're up north somewhere, Derby (I just checked).

Ha ha! Only a Londoner could call Derby “up north somewhere” :ROFL:

But thanks for the recommendation. I think my boot struts were from SGS, so I’ll check them out.

johnny_quattro 17th November 2020 08:43 PM

Ah, perhaps my soft spot for Derby didn't come through in my post. Got a childhood friend who lives in Mickleover, and a mate of mine used to work at RR before being made redundant. Top people 'up north' in my book, including SGS who kept me fully updated on my enquiry and subsequent order for the front struts. I'm going to blow your mind now by telling you that I made it all the way to Newcastle once to see a man about some wheels. Norretal makes a fine cup of tea ;)

Ameiseuk 18th November 2020 06:22 PM

+1 For SGS, use them all the time for struts in work

steamship 18th November 2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ameiseuk (Post 161067)
+1 For SGS, use them all the time for struts in work

I suspect the struts you get are a smidge bigger. ;)

The_Laird 18th November 2020 07:19 PM

Contacted SGS as the bonnet struts aren’t listed on their web site