A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Have any of you retrofitted double pane windows? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15974)

Ronin 17th November 2020 06:26 PM

Have any of you retrofitted double pane windows?

If so how much of a difference did it make? What were your experiences?

I'm one of those people that always think the car is too noisy on the inside and I'm always trying to find ways to make it quieter haha.

tintin 17th November 2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 161042)
If so how much of a difference did it make? What were your experiences?

I'm one of those people that always think the car is too noisy on the inside and I'm always trying to find ways to make it quieter haha.

That's what the Bose is for :ROFL:

RICKY D 17th November 2020 07:23 PM

Sorry I can’t answer your question, but I’m of the opinion that it would be an excellent upgrade.

My S8 has them but it’s off the road at the moment (long story) and I’m convinced the cabin is one of the quietest cars I’ve owned.....even compared to much newer stuff.

Maybe it’s all in my head but the S8 to me seems to be so well insulated from outside noise it’s remarkable. I’m either running around in my wife’s smart car or my beater A6 which are both newer and much noisier without the radio on.

The_Laird 17th November 2020 07:37 PM

Yes, my first ‘8 was a 2.8 Sport Quattro and Prestige/A8 Parts retrofitted appropriately tinted double-paned windows. And yes, you could really notice the difference!

MikkiJayne 17th November 2020 07:52 PM

There's a noticeable difference in cabin noise between Big Red and my S8. If I keep her it'll be one of the essential upgrades. All you need is the glass and the channel in the door frame. The rest is the same.

HPsauce 17th November 2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 161046)
All you need is the glass and the channel in the door frame.

And some door trim clips and the knowledge and ability to take it all apart and reassemble correctly.

Though having swapped a whole upper door frame (broken pulley!) and moved the glass over in the process it can't be that difficult if I did it.
(Just missed a trick with that damned triangular trim behind the rear window though)

B@fink 17th November 2020 08:50 PM

I’ve always thought mine was pretty much the quietest brum I’ve travelled in. Having driven a range of new cars for work and having been driven in an A6 the better part of 20 years newer my 8 with double glazing was always quieter usually much more so. Why someone spec’d a 2.8 with them and pretty much everything else apart from the one thing it needs most, parking sensors! remains a mystery.

Ronin 17th November 2020 10:58 PM

thanks for your feedback everyone. in this case I'll be adding this to my never ending list of todo's.

Ronin 31st August 2021 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have now acquired a set of 6 double pane windows for my car with matching blueish tint for £180 delivered to Cardiff....

I will be doing a limo tint on the rears for sure and I wondering whether I should remove the glass and give it to the tinting company as just glass especially that (from my understanding) the guides that are in the glass will have to be removed to do the job properly (pic attached)

What do you people think?

Are there any 'while you're there' jobs to do in the doors while I have it all apart during the replacement? I already know I need to get loads and loads of door clips, but I'm also thinking of adding more sound proofing material inside just to make things that little bit better.

steamship 31st August 2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 166563)
Are there any 'while you're there' jobs to do in the doors while I have it all apart during the replacement?

How about one touch auto-up feature for the rear windows? If so, check out the following post by Sergey in response to a thread I started on retrofitting rear blinds. The start of that thread will also give you instructions on removing the door cards:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....63&postcount=8