A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Car won't start, fuel pump? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16303)

Goran 19th June 2021 07:33 PM

Car won't start, fuel pump?

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I should do a bit more investigation before asking.
Car would not start today after a month of not being driven.

Battery was disconnected and was fine, I checked the voltage.

Its turning over fine, and seems to start catching on a few cylinders for a second or two but that's about it, then it stops.

Here is a quick vid on the 5th or 6th attempt to start. I'm curious what you think it could be.

Usually I hear a sucking type sound from the pump when the key goes to position 1. I think its not doing that sound any more.

I'll read through the Elsa manual how to test the pump properly. Pump fuse is ok, and all the other fuses are intact too.

I already have the VDO pump, but I didn't buy the seals. I'm going to order those too now.

MikkiJayne 19th June 2021 08:55 PM

That does sound like the pump, unfortunately.

Goran 19th June 2021 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 165394)
That does sound like the pump, unfortunately.

Hi Mikki! Hope you are well. Thanks for listening to the video, I was hoping to get your opinion.
+++

I guess after almost 20 years it was time for it to fail, it had a good run.
I'm going to order all the seals, this is going to be fun :(

Ronin 20th June 2021 10:02 PM

Whats your fuel level?

My car was parked with front facing down for a month with no use, i thought it was the pump but that didn't help. When I filled the car up past 1/2 the car magically started:Confused:

HPsauce 21st June 2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 165414)
When I filled the car up past 1/2 the car magically started:Confused:

But isn't that also due to a fuel pump issue, not seated properly to pick up the secondary section of the tank? :Confused:

homer simpson 22nd June 2021 10:59 AM

This could also be a relay if you're lucky. I had a very similar problem on a different car (Cossie). Had spark and fuel (could smell it!) but would not start. I checked power to the pump on ignition and it fluctuated and pulsed. Changed the relay ad it started first time. Worth checking.

HPsauce 22nd June 2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 165468)
This could also be a relay if you're lucky. I had a very similar problem on a different car (Cossie). Had spark and fuel (could smell it!) but would not start.

Same here, also on a Ford (Focus)…… ended up changing fuse and relay and never had any further problems.

Green Goblin 6th July 2021 08:15 AM

Amazing coincidence considering it’s your old car Goran (hope you’re well btw) - I have the exact same problem! Car turns over but refuses to start, however I have all the transmission lights lit up on the dash. Could this be fuel pump as well? Or F125?

I must admit, I can’t hear the fuel pump when I first turn the key but would failure of that cause all the transmission lights to light up?

FYI - there is loads of power from the batt because I keep a CTEK MXS 7.0 connected when it’s not being driven. Turns over smooth as ice and very fast.

EDITED TO ADD - Oh I noticed your post was 19th June - did you fix your car? Was it the fuel pump?

Cheers

MikkiJayne 6th July 2021 06:40 PM

There aren't any fault codes for the fuel pump. The transmission problem is likely the F125 and unconnected.

Green Goblin 6th July 2021 10:26 PM

Confused now - so the F125 switch is causing all the lights to light up then? And preventing the car from starting? Or not? The lights only appeared now it’s not starting, never had them before. Or are you saying the F125 AND the fuel pump have failed at the same time? Bit of a coincidence isn’t it?