A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Driving bliss (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Nc 500 tips ? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12533)

Mikee 8th January 2017 09:10 PM

Nc 500 tips ?

Going to do the NC 500 this year , any tips , good places to stay
Will head up from Fife , but not sure if to Inverness or crief , glencoe , fort bill , Skye

What do you think

Mike

tintin 8th January 2017 10:34 PM

Not sure I understand the question, so this might be a dumb question in reply, but have you looked here: http://www.northcoast500.com?

Mikee 9th January 2017 09:29 AM

sorry , researching for a week long trip this year , just trying to get some recommendations from folk , ive done all this route over the past few years but only once with an overnight stop (wick) and all on 2 wheels
wifey is not into camping so we need a bit of luxury/ nice b&b
also looking for places to visit , read a load of stuff on tinternet , just need to start planning , thought id ask you guys for your thoughts

mike

tintin 9th January 2017 01:47 PM

Hi Mike - you probably know more than most on here about the route, if you've already done it, albeit by bike. A few of us have talked about doing it, and I've used that website listed to do a bit of research, which seems to have some basic details on the type of thing your looking for.

Others may add more info,and it'd be good to share on here, so that others can learn this too.

Cheers

Stephen

HPsauce 9th January 2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikee (Post 122539)
researching for a week long trip this year

Well I've been up and around that way many times, we holiday there most years for about a week but with just one base, occasionally two.
Depending where you are coming from it's a trek just to get there, so if you're planning on sightseeing and touring (and especially any hillwalking) a week could be quite short on time.

When we travel direct from home (near London) we usually fly to Inverness and hire a car. You can get to Ullapool from there in about an hour. We've stayed at various good places in that rough direction, up as far as Lochinver and Inchnadamph.

So, where are you starting from and what sort of holiday do you want it to be?

B4-Andy 6th March 2017 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went up via Glencoe to Inverness when I did the NC500 last year, and this weekend we went up that way again, absolutely stunning, I'd highly recommend. Of course if the weather is crap then there's the more direct and dull A9 up to Inverness. (Although that road also has it's moments!)

As for hotels etc, all depends on how many days and stops you want to do? I can recommend a few to stop at and a few to avoid...

Conquistador 7th March 2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikee (Post 122527)
...good places to stay...

Can't go wrong with some of the bothies :ROFL:

The scenery is stunning up there though. Some of the roads reminded me of Switzerland in places.

47p2 7th March 2017 09:27 PM

Up via Glencoe staying on the A82 all the way to Inverness, then on the way back down the A9 to Aviemore then take the B9152 through Kincraig and onto the A86 to Kingussie, Newtonmore, Laggan, Roy Bridge, Spean Bridge and left onto the A82 back down through Fort William and Glencoe.

Fort William eateries:-
Indian food The Spice Tandoori, seafood The Crannog Seafood Restaurant, traditional fare The Ben Nevis Inn & Bunkhouse.

Inverness eateries:-
The Mustard Seed Restaurant, The Rocpool Restaurant

Ullapool eatery:-
Seaforth Bar and Restaurant

Thurso eatery:-
Y-Not Bar & Grill

Helmsdale eatery:-
La Mirage

Evanton eatery:-
Storehoue of Foulis

If you do go south on the A9 the House of Bruar has excellent food, but don't allow SWMBO out the car or it could be an expensive stop

B&B are busy throughout the summer, best book them early or you'll struggle to find a bed for the night

Adrian E 7th March 2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4-Andy (Post 125565)
and this weekend we went up that way again

The old girl is looking great +++