A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Selling my D3, thoughts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13896)

mannyo 4th March 2018 06:29 AM

Selling my D3, thoughts

My work situation is changing, in that in 8 weeks I am being made redundant and thus may need to sell the D3 which I have owned for more than 4 years.

My questions mainly hinge around what to do with the retrofits should I sell.

I have a MMI 2G Hybrid TV Tuner that I added in place of the analogue TV.

I have also added genuine Audi MMI 2G.

Should I sell these items removed from the car, is there much market these days or use them to help car saleability.

It hates me to think about selling it, but I may have no choice in the situation. The D3 was bought by my now late father 4 months before he passed away so it has a sentimental attachment and why I still have it now.

Derek29 4th March 2018 08:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your current situation.

By the sounds of it the car owes you nothing other than said retro fits.

From my past experience of selling cars with bolt on goodies, your going to get bid down anyway.

You could put it up for say 3k with everything, or £2700 with nothing, to then only be offered £2750 with extras, and in desperate times, you will probably take that offer.

Problem with selling them separately is you make your pre facelift 3.7 even more un-desirable.

Audidothat 4th March 2018 09:43 AM

My 2p worth.

If you absolutely need to sell it (really need the money) then save yourself some admin and sell it as it is, mods and all. Just get the deal done and move on.

But if possible SORN it, park it up and keep the 15 year old beast! A cracking engine in a cracking car that you are emotionally invested in and therefore holds a value that will never convert to £.

Come back to it again when you’re riding high and your head isn’t full of redundancy noise.

HPsauce 4th March 2018 10:01 AM

+1

And spend the time you would have invested/wasted in getting it sold at the best price in moving forwards in work/life.

tc4332 4th March 2018 11:19 AM

+1 from me as well.
Having had similiar problems I can understand that there only seems one way out. Please hit Pause, think about it calmly, then SORN it and save it until the sun shines again.
Importantly stay on the forum, your presence is important.
You still have the Volvo to keep you mobile.
Best of luck, whatever you decide.

RICKY D 4th March 2018 11:38 AM

Sorry to hear this pal. Just to echo what everyone else has said I would hold fire on selling the 8.

I was in this situation years ago and hastily sold my car and regretted it. Things worked ok in the end as I found another job. In hindsight i also realised I had enough in the bank to keep ticking over whilst tightening the belt a little.

Fingers crossed it all works out +++

Regulus 4th March 2018 03:09 PM

I have to agree with the others.
12 years ago I lost both my job and the house I was renting. The house was sold by the owner.

I panicked and sold a Lincoln Continental Mk III 1970.
For years afterwards, I thought back on that time regretting I had sold the car.
Because things turned out ok, and I would have easily been able to keep the car.

I just lost my job as well. Should have gone back to work March 12th.
But I have become accustomed to this, so I do not even break a sweat.

The main thing is. Have no fear. Do not worry. That only makes one make bad choices.

Norretal 4th March 2018 03:19 PM

Sorry to hear of your situation fella, hope things turn around for you soon.

I was made redundant two years ago and the first thought I had was "the car will have to go". I didn't rush to sell it and here I am two years later, earning half what I used to but still driving and enjoying my pride and joy. I've contemplated selling it and buying something "sensible" but every time I get back in it I smile and feel glad I haven't.

As everyone seems to be saying, hang onto it as long as you can, the future may be better than it seems right now.

Good luck

IT 4th March 2018 06:53 PM

If it has to go, sell the tv tuner and ami separately. Its a very easy job to remove them and theres probably nearly 500 quids worth there that wont increase the cars value much.

Worst case, knowing that you can get good money for those means you could take less for the car and shift it easier if needs be.

Joe2.0E 4th March 2018 08:10 PM

Is selling the Volvo not a better option ?
Sounds like the D3 is worth more to you than anyone else taking sentimentality into account.