A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   IT, AV and other Tech (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Crypto currency mining (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13153)

moltuae 26th June 2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 129648)
Rough calculations at this point show that I will be using £27 per month in electricity and getting back about £19. Decent graphics card should improves this but I have to run numbers first.

MikkiJayne how do you get business rate for electricity, is it as simple as registering company and then doing energy contract?

How are you calculating your electricity usage and which card is that?

Certainly some cards are far more efficient at mining than others. If you're building a rig specifically for mining or it's a PC that wouldn't normally be on 24/7 you do need to take the rig 'overheads' (CPU, drives, etc) into account when calculating the running costs. If you can't make use of the heat generated or you want to get electricity usage down to a minimum, building a larger multi-card rig might make more sense. The rig overheads will be greater when mining with just a few cards.

Also, depending on which card you use, you can usually make some adjustments to improve efficiency. For example, with the AMD cards you use the supplied AMD utility 'Wattman' to reduce the GPU frequency by about 15-20%. This has no significant impact on mining performance yet reduces power consumption from about 160W to 100W per card. For comparison, I have a 2 card AMD rig (RX 480) that consumes about the same as yours (~£27 per month) but makes about £100-£150 per month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 129647)
So far I have set up bitcoin wallet now and Nice Hash mining but my Kaspersky Internet Security has gone viral. after pressing allow like 200 times it pops up again like every minute.
It only uses 5% of my old CPU na d about 50% of 8GB of RAM.

Kaspersky is probably just triggering when NiceHash switches algorithms or makes new network connections. While it's best to experiment initially on an existing system, you'll have better results running the cards on a dedicated system without such aggressive antivirus/firewall software.

Architex_mA8tey 26th June 2017 10:25 PM

I've moved this thread to "IT AV and other Tech" as it sits better here +++

ainarssems 26th June 2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 129650)
How are you calculating your electricity usage and which card is that?

Certainly some cards are far more efficient at mining than others. If you're building a rig specifically for mining or it's a PC that wouldn't normally be on 24/7 you do need to take the rig 'overheads' (CPU, drives, etc) into account when calculating the running costs. If you can't make use of the heat generated or you want to get electricity usage down to a minimum, building a larger multi-card rig might make more sense. The rig overheads will be greater when mining with just a few cards.

Also, depending on which card you use, you can usually make some adjustments to improve efficiency. For example, with the AMD cards you use the supplied AMD utility 'Wattman' to reduce the GPU frequency by about 15-20%. This has no significant impact on mining performance yet reduces power consumption from about 160W to 100W per card. For comparison, I have a 2 card AMD rig (RX 480) that consumes about the same as yours (~£27 per month) but makes about £100-£150 per month.

I am calculating 7 hours at night rate and 17 hours of day rate per day of my current price.

Kaspersky is probably just triggering when NiceHash switches algorithms or makes new network connections. While it's best to experiment initially on an existing system, you'll have better results running the cards on a dedicated system without such aggressive antivirus/firewall software.

It's jut my old PC that I don't use anymore with GTX 760 and the CPU is is overclocked and overvolted so definitely some power savings to be had and more modern GPU would make it more cost effective as well.

MikkiJayne 26th June 2017 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 129648)
MikkiJayne how do you get business rate for electricity, is it as simple as registering company and then doing energy contract?

The landlord has the main electricity contract for the site and I pay him for what I use. It works out at roughly half what I pay at home.

Just setting up one of the laptops now. Core i7 with a GTX280 so we'll see what that can do to get going and then have a play with the 960 :)

MikkiJayne 27th June 2017 01:19 AM

Well that was a waste of time. Nethash Miner won't detect CPU or GPU on my i7 laptop :mad:

moltuae 27th June 2017 09:52 AM

Laptops are generally no good for mining. Even if they have supported hardware, they're not designed to be run at full power for extended periods. Cooling is very limited and frequently running BGA (ball grid array) type CPUs/GPUs hot can lead to faults caused by solder fatigue.

It's best to stick to using full size systems and one of the graphics cards listed here: https://new.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

Delboy 27th June 2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 129667)
Laptops are generally no good for mining. Even if they have supported hardware, they're not designed to be run at full power for extended periods. Cooling is very limited and frequently running BGA (ball grid array) type CPUs/GPUs hot can lead to faults caused by solder fatigue.

It's best to stick to using full size systems and one of the graphics cards listed here: https://new.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

Your not wrong there, my Macbook is living proof of that, I had to send it away to have the gpu chip replaced for that very reason.

Following this thread with interest. +++

Is it possible to build a rig into a proper pc case or is it usually Frankenstein'd? I have a silverstone TJ-07 case thats never been used sitting in the loft.

Also surprised to see they don't use liquid cooling for quietness and maybe heat recovery to be used for the house?

moltuae 27th June 2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 129668)
Is it possible to build a rig into a proper pc case or is it usually Frankenstein'd? I have a silverstone TJ-07 case thats never been used sitting in the loft.

Certainly, though you'll be limited by the number of cards you can physically fit in there of course. You'll be lucky to find a case that'll take more than a couple of full size graphics cards, though you may be able to squeeze an extra one into a couple of 5.25" bays if you can find a way to mount it. Also depending on the PSU the PC originally came with, you may need to upgrade that to cope with the extra wattage.

moltuae 27th June 2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 129668)
Also surprised to see they don't use liquid cooling for quietness and maybe heat recovery to be used for the house?

Some people have used liquid cooling, but often it's just an unnecessary expense.

The fans in the GPU rigs aren't particularly loud and you can use the heat to heat your house/office. I used my Antminer S9 (which is loud!) to heat my workshop for the latter part of last winter. I usually use an electric heater but with the Antminer pumping out 1.3kW of heat continuously I didn't need any extra heating. So it didn't save be anything on my heating bills but it effectively cost me nothing to run either. Over a 3 month period it probably made me about £1000. I've since moved it to my customer's server room (where it has all the free electricity it can eat). This is the customer I'm helping to build a mining farm for, so I get to use their electricity for free as part of the deal :)

1781cc 27th June 2017 11:47 AM

Anyone looked into dumping a PV install on their garage roof and running one off that or would the power setup not work/be reliable enough? Just thinking aloud here... what sort of bandwidth drain does this have on your internet connection as well?