A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Everything Else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Aerodynamics - an observation (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12305)

Audidothat 14th November 2016 07:06 PM

Aerodynamics - an observation

Whilst driving, if I want to have the drivers window by more than a qtr I have to also open the window behind otherwise I experience buffeting like no other 4 door saloon car I have owned before. Anyone else experience the same.

Trouble is, doing so then makes the rear seatbelt slap against the seat!!!!

Must be the shape of the car and perhaps a wide B pillar?

Just a couple of owner observations!

paulrstaylor 14th November 2016 07:17 PM

Try opposing corners +++

snapdragon 14th November 2016 08:00 PM

I agree but have seen on other cars just as bad, but my rear seatbelt doesn't flap, just more of a turbulance.

PsYcHe 14th November 2016 08:54 PM

Yup.. I had this in my '8s. Even worse I found if only a rear window was open.

The A7 doesn't seem to have the issue.

Norretal 14th November 2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audidothat (Post 119625)
Whilst driving, if I want to have the drivers window by more than a qtr I have to also open the window behind otherwise I experience buffeting like no other 4 door saloon car I have owned before. Anyone else experience the same.

Trouble is, doing so then makes the rear seatbelt slap against the seat!!!!

Must be the shape of the car and perhaps a wide B pillar?

Just a couple of owner observations!

My D3 is terrible with the drivers window down, much worse than the D2 ever was.........those curved lines come at a price ;)

Audidothat 15th November 2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norretal (Post 119632)
My D3 is terrible with the drivers window down, much worse than the D2 ever was.........those curved lines come at a price ;)

Yes, currently at £1:20 a litre X 80 litres X 2 times a week, LOL!

1781cc 15th November 2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audidothat (Post 119638)
Yes, currently at £1:20 a litre X 80 litres X 2 times a week, LOL!

that'll be the engine not the windows! :ROFL:

moltuae 15th November 2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1781cc (Post 119642)
that'll be the engine not the windows! :ROFL:

:ROFL:

I used to own one of the most aerodynamic production cars ever made, the Citroen XM (with a drag coefficient of 0.28). You could open the driver's window fully in that car at 80mph and get very little buffeting or wind in your face. Of course, being French, there was a good chance the window mechanism would break at any time, so it was always a gamble whether the window would come back up! :lol:

While the XM was very aerodynamic though, I'm not sure that had much to do with it. I think it was more of a design thing .... it had front quarter glass/'lights' which seemed to prevent the air from rushing in.

ainarssems 15th November 2016 01:32 PM

:ROFL:What a strange concept - driving with window open :Confused::ROFL::ROFL:

Audidothat 15th November 2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 119647)
:ROFL:

I used to own one of the most aerodynamic production cars ever made, the Citroen XM (with a drag coefficient of 0.28). You could open the driver's window fully in that car at 80mph and get very little buffeting or wind in your face. Of course, being French, there was a good chance the window mechanism would break at any time, so it was always a gamble whether the window would come back up! :lol:

While the XM was very aerodynamic though, I'm not sure that had much to do with it. I think it was more of a design thing .... it had front quarter glass/'lights' which seemed to prevent the air from rushing in.

I remember going on a road trip in a .....Vauxhall Calibra.....which was like that, very little wind intrusion into the cabin at speed, not quite sure why that has stuck with me! LOL

It was the 4x4 version, ok but not as nice as the Audi Coupe Quattro 20v I owned at the time!