A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Audi Recalls 26,000 4.0T cars (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16636)

homer simpson 31st March 2022 10:01 AM

Audi Recalls 26,000 4.0T cars

Seems to be Audi in the U.S. has recalled A8, S6, S7, S8 and RS7 with concerns over the turbo oil strainer which affects 2013-2017 vehicles. Not sure the UK will get anything as we usually don't.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...hhmvumuezXyg9Y

MikkiJayne 31st March 2022 10:52 AM

This is what killed Neil's turbos on his A8L, and Audi UK were totally uninterested in any kind of warranty or goodwill and just claimed he'd not serviced it properly. They were quite happy to supply a new updated oil strainer obviously.

Adrian E 31st March 2022 11:54 AM

Definitely a well known issue - and typical UK response - I suspect a main dealer serviced car stands a chance of 'goodwill' but otherwise it's everyone for themselves.....

Same with so many other products and built in design flaws made by the group, but clearly if you accept there's a problem and look to fix it the costs can become very significant. The more litigious USA with greater consumer protections as well gives them an edge (and Audi USA a reason) to make steps like this.

homer simpson 1st April 2022 01:35 PM

I don't understand how manufacturers can issue a recall in only one country on a part fitted in all countries. I assume n the UK there is now a good chance to fight the dealer as they have agreed the strainer is at fault, but would still require a lot of time and effort

steamship 1st April 2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 169232)
I don't understand how manufacturers can issue a recall in only one country on a part fitted in all countries.

As Adrian mentioned above, it's primarily because the US are more litigious.

I saw a post on one of the Facebook A8 groups were it has cost someone $12,000 for new turbos plus labour!

Also Audi, but not the A8, a fault on the 2.0 TFSI engine resulted in 'Safety Recall 19N4 (Electric (After Run) Coolant Pump)'. Problem was dealt with but then owners were given a 4 year/unlimited mile warranty extension from the repair date.

Adrian E 1st April 2022 03:25 PM

The only occasion I'm aware of Audi actually dealing with the issue is the 2.0T engine rebuilds due to excessive oil consumption, and even then they fought it for years before giving in.

tonupkid 1st April 2022 03:49 PM

Indeed. I had a 2019 2.0L TFSI and Audi replaced the pistons because of its voracious appetite for oil (approx 1 litter every fill up) but they needed pushing in order to do it under warranty.

I now have a 4.0L TFSI. It's running great but this potential issue will have to be addressed. So once again I'm going to have to navigate the defensive Audi system. At the moment they are still at the 'deny there is even an issue' stage. Sigh :-(

They also did the same with the first TT's which were unstable at speed, and they resisted like hell paying to fit the spoilers necessary to rectify the issue.

Funny how car manufacturers are prepared to take the bad publicity rather than own up and correct their mistakes.

J i m s t e r 1st April 2022 04:29 PM

Why can't the affected UK owners leverage their voices in the same way the US would? The US owners always get a better deal, Audi is quick to avoid going to court there. My mechanic was telling me the reason you have to have your foot on the brake to start the car is because in the US, some clowns were claiming they left it in gear and turned the ignition (Audi 5000 IIRC), causing the car to exit the garage in the wrong direction - via a wall.

Audi claimed user error but, Audi lost.

So Audi adopted the solution we all have to use now.

Doesn't seem fair that a known fault is remediated in one country but left to bankrupt owners in another, M'lud.