A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Valve cover gasket replacement (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16085)

S81 22nd January 2021 08:57 PM

Valve cover gasket replacement

I'm changing the valve cover gaskets as I want to change spark plugs,and there is oil in a couple of the plug wells ,I've got the oem gasket for drivers side and a febi one for passenger side ( oem only available cw new cover due to a warping issue on early vehicles on passenger side ) and it's several hundred for new cover and gasket so I'm going to try the febi one to see what happens ,my question is should I put a small amount of gasket sealer at the corners or not

S81 23rd January 2021 08:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Would anyone have the part no for the control valve seals? Also am I right in saying all 4 seals are the same

steamship 23rd January 2021 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the attached diagram, do you mean the o-ring seal (30)? If so, the part number is WHT002789. Just over £3 from dealer.

S81 23rd January 2021 09:06 PM

That's it ( i spoke to dealers earlier this week but he couldn't find the part no ) thanks sean

Kazs8 28th January 2021 01:55 PM

Guys can anyone confirm size of o ring that’s fits on the vvt solenoid
I came across thread online saying it’s a R11 5/8” x 3/32”

steamship 28th January 2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazs8 (Post 162546)
Guys can anyone confirm size of o ring that’s fits on the vvt solenoid
I came across thread online saying it’s a R11 5/8” x 3/32”

The only info I have is 14.8x1.9 which I'm assuming is millimetres.

S81 28th January 2021 08:25 PM

I've got 4 new ones for my car ,i'll look tomorrow night and see if there's anything on the packet

S81 30th January 2021 08:20 PM

I checked that today and there's nothing on the packing labels,I measured it and its approx 17 mm centre to centre ,I changed all 4 of them today and the old ones were hard and tight ,the new ones we 're slight loose i thought on the valve but when I put valves back in they were nice and tight when I seated them ,they were £3 each approx as Sean had said they are just normal o rings but i went with the genuine as i wasn't able to be sure of getting the correct size

Kazs8 30th January 2021 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 162549)
The only info I have is 14.8x1.9 which I'm assuming is millimetres.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by S81 (Post 162605)
I checked that today and there's nothing on the packing labels,I measured it and its approx 17 mm centre to centre ,I changed all 4 of them today and the old ones were hard and tight ,the new ones we 're slight loose i thought on the valve but when I put valves back in they were nice and tight when I seated them ,they were £3 each approx as Sean had said they are just normal o rings but i went with the genuine as i wasn't able to be sure of getting the correct size

Thanks for getting back, I have a leak on right side Lower left corner
Took cover off & looks like it’s wraped as does not sit flush against a straight line so have ordered a new cover & will change o ring on the solenoid

Kazs8 5th February 2021 06:12 PM

Do the vvt solenoids have one O ring each ? Thanks