A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Air inlet manifold (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16092)

S81 26th January 2021 09:22 PM

Air inlet manifold

1 Attachment(s)
I'm removing the inlet manifold to check carbon and replace oil filter seals ,and I've noticed the inside of the inlet manifold has an oily ness about it ,is this normal or do i have a problem with the oil separator ,(84k miles ) the flaps look ok to me but I would like to operate them to be sure when I get it on the bench ,is it possible to do this without damaging them ? ,ps should i clean inside with a degreaser and hot water or better to leave it alone

kele 27th January 2021 02:29 PM

It is normal for some fuel and oil vapor and gas to go in there. I have fitted catch cans on each side now (after fitting a brand new intake). Those cans do collect some fuel and oil ahead of the PCV. In the hope that carbon build up is reduced...

S81 27th January 2021 05:22 PM

Thanks if you get a chance could you send me a pic of cans so that I can see were to fit and the make and model of them please

S81 30th January 2021 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I noticed when I was carbon cleaning that the valve ports closest to the bulkhead had very little carbon were as the ones near the rad had a lot ,i'm guessing this has something to do with airflow ,(i didn't think to get a pic of the bulkhead ones that's the front ones )

S81 6th February 2021 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sean would you have had the torque setting for the inlet manifold ,o checked the tech sections and threads but either have missed it or can't find them ,i have manifold cleaned and checked and back in just need to torque it down before refiting fuel pipe pumps etc

homer simpson 6th February 2021 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This should help

S81 6th February 2021 05:42 PM

That's it thanks

S81 6th February 2021 07:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Manifold back on without any trouble,and torqued down thanks to homer ,couldn't get the drivers side rear fuel pipe tightened due to lack of space ,i'm thinking i should have tighten it before i put manifold in and tightened it ,will have to have an another look ( unless someone has a trick)

steamship 7th February 2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S81 (Post 162814)
couldn't get the drivers side rear fuel pipe tightened due to lack of space

I saw your request yesterday but since homer had already responded, never thought anymore about it. Now seeing this comment, I wish I had thought more about it, as I had the same issue with the rear passenger side. The previous owner had fitted a new manifold at around 100k and during spirited driving you'd get the smell of petrol fumes. New owner was informed about it and when checked it was because the pipe hadn't been tightened enough. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on a solution.

S81 7th February 2021 11:17 AM

I'm going to try a basin spanner to see if it works ,there is enough room down in there but a lot of obstacles above and around it ,