A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   D2 Wipers Questions (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14907)

The_Laird 17th April 2019 02:01 PM

D2 Wipers Questions

Just bought some new Bosch wipers (I really can’t bring myself to pay 0ver £60 for genuine wiper blades) and have a couple of questions:

1) Should the spoiler be below the wiper blade or above it? I thought the former, but the fitting won’t allow that.

2) Can you still buy just the wiper rubbers to fit to genuine blades?

Thanks folks

homer simpson 17th April 2019 02:36 PM

According to Audi's website, you can get them supplied and fitted for £45 and have a coffee/nose around whilst you wait.

moltuae 17th April 2019 03:04 PM

I'm pretty sure the spoiler goes to the bottom.

And I believe this is the part number for the rubber blade refills: 895 955 429 A

I would recommend switching to Bosch Aerotwin wipers though Jim. I've tried genuine Audi blades (complete with the curved passenger blade) and various after-market blades. I've even bought and replaced just the rubber refills once or twice too. But even with genuine blades, I have found that after just a month or two of use they're chattering/juddering or smearing. I switched to Bosch Aerotwin blades at the beginning of the winter and they're still wiping like new now. They also look a lot better than the original blades because they have a lower profile. They don't quite reach the far corner of the passenger side of the windscreen (maybe an inch or two) because of their inability to completely conform to the window's curvature, but I can live with that.

tintin 17th April 2019 03:23 PM

Not sure why they should cost £60: my wiper blades were just replaced on Monday by KwikFit as part of the MOT there (along with a replacement headlamp bulb) and their total bill, incl test fee, was £55 :Confused:

The_Laird 17th April 2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 149822)
Not sure why they should cost £60: my wiper blades were just replaced on Monday by KwikFit as part of the MOT there (along with a replacement headlamp bulb) and their total bill, incl test fee, was £55 :Confused:

It’s the genuine Audi ones that are expensive

tintin 17th April 2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 149825)
It’s the genuine Audi ones that are expensive

Aha! Mine are Bosch, which is fine for me....

The_Laird 17th April 2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 149821)
I'm pretty sure the spoiler goes to the bottom.

And I believe this is the part number for the rubber blade refills: 895 955 429 A.

Should there be 2 part numbers as the blades are different lengths?

I’ve never got on with aero blades, but the genuine Audi ones lasted ages. Funny old world! ;)

ainarssems 17th April 2019 06:45 PM

You just cut refills to size but I think Audi stopped selling refills some time ago.

moltuae 17th April 2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 149829)
Should there be 2 part numbers as the blades are different lengths?

I’ve never got on with aero blades, but the genuine Audi ones lasted ages. Funny old world! ;)

The part number is for a pair (both 22 inch) and, as Ainars says, you just cut them to length.

Probably been a year or two since bought refills but I got them from TPS (via a garage owner friend). TPS had them in stock (at the time).

They still seem to be readily available from a few Ebay sellers, such as this German seller:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...A/173097020216

Maybe my bad experience of Audi blades is due to a worn wiper linkage. I did have another problem with regular blades in that they would hit the edge of the windscreen (mainly on full speed in heavy rain), no matter how I adjusted them. With the Aero blades, I've been able to adjust the wiper arms so that the rest position is lower, which I find more aesthetically pleasing too.

briang9 17th April 2019 08:53 PM

I bought a job lot of Aldi wiper blades a while back, (Made in Germany) shortly after I bought the car, think they were £4.99 per set. I have only used 3 sets in the 8 years I have had the car..have one set left...a bargain I think+++