A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A8 w12 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13583)

awolfinsheepsclothes 6th November 2017 06:51 PM

A8 w12

3 Attachment(s)
Hello I test drove this on Saturday a few little problems but it was cheap around £4000 is that cheap? 150,000 miles my friend was put off by the car tax as he wanted to keep his other car too. I checked it on gov website at £535? Is that correct or am i miss informing him

1781cc 6th November 2017 07:53 PM

Sounds about right, it’s what I pay with the S8

27litres 6th November 2017 09:53 PM

Awww!!
When I saw the header and who posted it, I thought it was going to be a D2 :p

IT 7th November 2017 05:28 PM

Define 'Little problems'

W12's don't ever have //little// problems.. ;)

Its high miles, and not a huge spec, so its either a lot of car, or headache for your money... +++

Cant recall seeing one making it to 150K to be honest. Engines normally have lots of niggly issues before then...

awolfinsheepsclothes 8th November 2017 04:43 AM

Hi Ian the problems where both auto dimming door mirrors failed, normally very expensive but my mate doesn’t really drive at night anymore, so std replacement would be fine. The tipTronic buttons on the steering wheel didn’t work but if I used the gear-lever worked fine. Seemed a bit reluctant to kickdown and Rev upto the Rev limiter. Do they have a kick down button? And I could smell oil dripping onto the cats/exhaust (rear gearbox oil seal maybe) and damaged trim or the rear door threshold. My mate was put off with the high tax. So is still for sale
Dave

sarg 8th November 2017 07:16 PM

Cost of road tax would be one of the smallest costs of running a W12, but perhaps your friend should check the simple stuff before kicking the tyres, sorry, that kind of things get me :mad:

He probably better off with something else :)

homer simpson 9th November 2017 12:56 PM

I thought the max for cars registered before March 2006 was £295?

Djinny 15th November 2017 01:58 PM

A W12 is not an economical choice. Not referring to tax or fuel.
To be honest I sold mine because I had bad dreams about it wanting repairs one day I would not be able to pay for.

Not all of the engines are bad though. They just tend to have thermic issues. There's something which can be done to help that. There was a "Heißland" (hot country) feature which noone seems to use: it has two fans, a hydraulic one and an electric one and its possible to have them both running all the time. My W12 had it that way.

It had a good deal more than 300,000 km about three years ago. I know that from the one who bought it from me, I think he said 320,000 km.

It even has changed its owner once more and is still alive. It found it on the Internet somewhen this or last year (reckognized - i.a. - the rims and the LPG evaporator).

karlcossy 16th November 2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 134787)
I thought the max for cars registered before March 2006 was £295?

yes it is mines on disabled but is the lower hense buying big cars like that before march 06

awolfinsheepsclothes 16th November 2017 08:06 PM

who said he kicked the tyres!

who said he kicked the tyres!
he's not even seen the car! a friend with a garage who is selling the car asked me if i was interested i said no. but was there a couple of days later anyway, seeing other friends in the same mill less than 2 miles from my house. the friend/ seller upon seeing me gave me the keys and ordered me to test drive it. even though i told him I've got to many and no use for it! and i can only drive one at once.
i have a second friend, who i said should buy it. he was only a little put off by the £535 it said on Autotrader. i said don't bother get a D2 why would you want to give the government £535?
£295 is a bit more reasonable! so I've told him to go and have a look and the seller/friend rang me yesterday and said he would take £3500
if my friend doesn't buy it, someone else might be interested?