A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   D2 Towbar + electrics, fixed, HAC brand, never fitted, offers (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14440)

YorkshireBloke 28th August 2018 05:32 PM

D2 Towbar + electrics, fixed, HAC brand, never fitted, offers

Hi Folks,

I have to admit defeat: I can't get my Towbar fitted locally, I can't do it myself and I am ready to let it go to someone who can fettle it.

My main problem has been the usually excellent LPG system and the pipe run / tank in the boot / wheel well. My usual Towbar filters won't touch any LPG pipes at all during fitting, suggesting I have them all removed and then refitted when they had done their thing. Yeah, right. :rolleyes: :Confused:

My LPG experts won't touch the Towbar and the single garage who thought they "would have a go" are a friendly but small outfit, pulled out with work and not speciallsts in AUDI, towbars OR LPG... :ROFL: And can't give me an estimate of cost, not rip off merchants but plenty of work without messing about with me :-(

Great choice? No, time to walk away.

So, Towbar bought a year ago or so from ANOTHER forum member who ALSO didn't fit it! Sensible offers, no big rush, very heavy, can take to Sheffield, Leeds or Manchester way to drop off or meet half way. For a good offer I might take a run to see my Boy in Lunnnan Tahn...

YorkshireBloke

steamship 28th August 2018 05:41 PM

That's weird. I bought my towbar from The_Laird (Jim) and fitted it myself, including wiring it in, and mine is also LPG (I have a 120l tank across the back).

Out of curiosity, where is the LPG filler on your car? Is it attached/through the rear bumper, as that's about the only reason I can think of for them not wanting to touch it.

YorkshireBloke 28th August 2018 06:58 PM

"Can't Be Arsed", the new concept in AutoRepair culture..

Hi Steamship,

You are right. And wrong. :rolleyes: Not worth the messing about was the underlying message... :-(

"We aren't insured", "if our job is fouled by LPG piping we will stop, give you back your half dismantled car and still charge you". Oh, right, you really want this job don't you... :mad:

Thing is, let's get businesslike. I think many garages take on high risk jobs 'cos they have a relationship with the car owner and keep the simple, oil-and-filter-let -the-apprentice-do-it jobs for ages after.

A Towbar shop sees you (maybe) 3 or 4 times in your life, maybe never again. If I don't go to that fitter ever again they won't even notice.

BUT if it went pear shaped... :( :o

Just business.

YB

tintin 30th August 2018 07:52 AM

Interested

Hi YB. As per title, I'm interested, with the benefit of being relatively local and no LPG complications. Will PM you later today, if that's ok...

IT 30th August 2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 144802)
Hi YB. As per title, I'm interested, with the benefit of being relatively local and no LPG complications. Will PM you later today, if that's ok...

Shudder. The horror..... A non oem towbar on your beauty.... I still wake up in cold sweats after you installed that parrot thing.... ;)

tintin 30th August 2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 144804)
Shudder. The horror..... A non oem towbar on your beauty.... I still wake up in cold sweats after you installed that parrot thing.... ;)

Ah, where would I be without you keeping me straight Ian :rolleyes: - I'm only really interested in OEM and removable (like the Parrot kit +++ ) - so I probably mis-read this as OEM kit? If not - to quote Mr Bannatyne - then I'm out... :-(

IT 30th August 2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 144806)
Ah, where would I be without you keeping me straight Ian :rolleyes: - I'm only really interested in OEM and removable (like the Parrot kit +++ ) - so I probably mis-read this as OEM kit? If not - to quote Mr Bannatyne - then I'm out... :-(

Given its listed as a 'HAC' brand, and not westfalia, I'm assuming its not oem...

... but please allow the OP to confirm, don't take my word for it.

Non genuine would usually need a bumper cut too..

27litres 2nd September 2018 12:43 AM

Can't speak for HAC brand, but AutoHak fit fine with no bumper cut.