A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Psychological problems in lockdown (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16135)

The_Laird 18th February 2021 10:26 AM

Psychological problems in lockdown

Nothing to do with the lockdown itself, but I’m getting withdrawal symptoms after no WITW posts fo a couple of days. I know that even Michaela is entitled to a day off, but I do miss those posts.

I’m re- reading the thread on Vera’s car to compensate. :)

MikkiJayne 18th February 2021 10:56 AM

There's not going to be anything more on the murple because I reached breaking point the other day. If I put another tool near it it will end up shredded and going for scrap. It would take 2 days to dismantle and dispose of it, or probably another 2 months to make it work. That point arrived with the horrible realisation that it would have taken less effort to resurrect my Avus FE than I'd spent so far on the murple. Certain people are keen that I don't kill it, so its getting pushed out the back and ignored for a bit while I make a decision.

General Vod is back at the weekend for some upgrades though so normal service will be resumed shortly.

MikkiJayne 18th February 2021 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The final straw - the propshaft CV boot is split. Can't buy these in the UK so that meant a replacement prop was needed. Removing the prop led to the discovery that both rear calipers are dragging due to split piston seals. At that point I downed tools and came home.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1613650035

I wrote off both my FEs as 'beyond economic salvation', and they were both in a better state than this one. Lesson learned.

The_Laird 18th February 2021 01:39 PM

Oh no! I feel for you, I really do. I think every single one of us would have given up long ago. Take a break (and a stiff drink) - there’s plenty for us to read in the archives.

ainarssems 18th February 2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 163152)
The final straw - the propshaft CV boot is split. Can't buy these in the UK so that meant a replacement prop was needed. Removing the prop led to the discovery that both rear calipers are dragging due to split piston seals. At that point I downed tools and came home.

I think propshafts are the same PF and FL.
Boot was split on my PF, I discovered it when changing gearbox output flange seal in 2012. It looked like it's been split for a while and CV joint had been running dry and overheating and had burned on propshaft so it broke trying to get it off. It was made by GKN LOBRO, 100mm outer diameter, 32 mm wide and with 25 splines. They are used on several older cars mostly as inner driveshaft joints. GKN part number 21561 for CV joint, other cheap aftermarket versions are available, propshaft is rotating faster than driveshafts but lower angles so you need different boot that does not disintegrate at high speeds and high cetrifugal forces but fast boots are also available.

Boot: https://race.parts/Catalogue/Drivetr...ode-Fast-Boots
CV joint: https://race.parts/Catalogue/Drivetr...ndard-CV-Joint

MikkiJayne 18th February 2021 04:04 PM

Well found thank you :)

RICKY D 18th February 2021 09:25 PM

This car has really been kicking your ass MJ!

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that this is a "small" blip in the proceedings and the Murple will see the road at some point this year....everyone loves a success story +++

The Laird and I have at least one thing in common - reading the old WITW threads :D

steamship 18th February 2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 163163)
Oh no! I feel for you, I really do. I think every single one of us would have given up long ago. Take a break (and a stiff drink) - there’s plenty for us to read in the archives.

I fully concur with what Jim said. I think your attention to detail and fastidious nature has kept a lot of us sane during this past year when we've had little else to keep us going. Rest and regroup.

Stromaluski 21st February 2021 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 163152)

I wrote off both my FEs as 'beyond economic salvation', and they were both in a better state than this one. Lesson learned.

If it makes you feel better, I'm struggling just as hard with our corrado. If it were my car, it would have been a parts car. But it's my wife's car, so I don't really have that option.

I spent most of last year working on it.
  • Engine Swap to a later coilpack engine
  • Complete engine rebuild
  • Resealed transmission and new axles
  • Rebuilt the front light harness
  • Replaced the entire ABS harness
  • Made a radio harness to to replace the factory Aktiv harness
  • Made fog light harnesses
  • Fixed broken parts and re-glued leather on all 4 interior panels
  • Replaced a broken heater box
  • Fixed a broken sunroof
  • Replaced control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, ball joints
  • Replaced the steering rack and tie rods
  • Brakes on all 4 corners

I've put 100 miles on the car so far. And I'm about to pull the head back off the engine next weekend to put another head on it that hopefully isn't junk like the one on it. Despite that it's a "rebuilt" head.

Audifan 28th February 2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 163151)
There's not going to be anything more on the murple because I reached breaking point the other day. If I put another tool near it it will end up shredded and going for scrap. It would take 2 days to dismantle and dispose of it, or probably another 2 months to make it work. That point arrived with the horrible realisation that it would have taken less effort to resurrect my Avus FE than I'd spent so far on the murple. Certain people are keen that I don't kill it, so its getting pushed out the back and ignored for a bit while I make a decision.

General Vod is back at the weekend for some upgrades though so normal service will be resumed shortly.

Oh wow, sorry to hear about this. It sounds like this car was poorly neglected and poorly serviced.