A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Expensive few weeks (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13845)

briang9 14th February 2018 10:33 PM

Expensive few weeks

Having just replaced the PAS hoses which judging by Audi prices must have been gold plated:tuttut:...now I need to replace the F125 switch..funny how these things seem to happen together..much better than driving a Mondeo though+++

David's8 15th February 2018 07:59 AM

If you take into account the low (or nil?) depreciation then the annual costs dont look so bad. I have spent around £1.3k pa on mine over the last 5 years on tyres, winter wheels, servicing (mostly by myself), preventive maintenance and repairs. It also includes MoTs. Any new car would, of course, require some of the same but the depreciation would be huge.
So, using man maths, you are saving money Brian +++
......and I cant see you as Mondeo man :tuttut:

Goran 15th February 2018 12:25 PM

I am in the same boat. I just keep consoling myself that the expensive components I am replacing should last another 16 years

Architex_mA8tey 15th February 2018 05:32 PM

I do think that the F125 switch is prone to failing more quickly if you dont do much mileage or use the car every day or two. Mine was new with the factory exchange gearbox and had only done about 20,000 miles but it felt like one of the prongs inside had almost welded itself into the contact plate so that when it was moved it snapped off - totally sympathize Brian :(

tintin 15th February 2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 137869)
I do think that the F125 switch is prone to failing more quickly if you dont do much mileage or use the car every day or two. Mine was new with the factory exchange gearbox and had only done about 20,000 miles but it felt like one of the prongs inside had almost welded itself into the contact plate so that when it was moved it snapped off - totally sympathize Brian :(

I agree with that - mine was just fine till I stopped driving Herman regularly :rolleyes:

David's8 15th February 2018 06:27 PM

Having opened up mine after its failure, it isn't surprising that both lack of use and, eventually, wear over the 100k miles lead to failure. Its an old-fashioned, electromechanical piece of kit where copper, brass alloys and electricity mix. The lubricating grease gets swept away leaving contacts on the copper strips when not used.

briang9 15th February 2018 06:34 PM

Lack of use could be a factor in my case too. Thinking about it I havn't really had any big bills other than routine maintenance, tyres, brakes etc for a few years so probably can't complain. Drove it into Glasgow earlier to drop a tyre off with Tintin..and it just reminded what a wonderful car it is+++

briang9 28th February 2018 07:38 PM

F125 Switch and "mini service" carried out today, so S8 fully functioning again, do hope I am not tempting fate;) Excelled itself on way back from mechanic, easily passing lesser cars stuck on the hill in the snow with the style and panache that only an 8 can:love: Should be ready for it's NC500 trip at the end of April now+++

Regulus 1st March 2018 06:23 PM

Best of luck, good to hear it turned out good :)