A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Fuel and Exhausts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help on choosing new exhaust for S8 please (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10499)

MrHooky 2nd September 2015 11:37 AM

Help on choosing new exhaust for S8 please

Hi all,

Appreciate a few threads on S8 exhausts but wanted to ask the question still.

I have a FL S8 which I am loving. I’ve now sold by 8N 3.2 which I adored and it sounded better to my ears. I appreciate the S8 is an exec car, but I wished it was a bit more vocal, more of a rumble at normal speeds, with more of a V8 howl when gunning it.

Now I’m thinking Milltek purely because they are a well known name so my questions are:

What custom exhausts have people put on their cars?
Can people show pics?
What should I expect to pay? I don’t want to to be shelling out £1k on a Milltek when there may be better options out there for less.

Oh and looks wise. I think I want OEM, just perhaps slightly bigger pipes. I do like the GT80 style sawn off shotgun style Milltek though…

Professor Peach 2nd September 2015 12:22 PM

I can't really help with your question, but I can tell you that the Milltek sounds fantastic! Never too droney on the motorway, but sounds excellent when you want it to! +++

Sorry, that didn't help did it! :D

Adrian E 2nd September 2015 12:27 PM

Hiya

I have the Milltek on my S8 but I believe they no longer produce a d2 system :/ I think if there were a number of orders they would make a batch but last time I checked there were none available

It strikes a good balance between a more bass rumble at idle and a bit more volume on throttle without being lairy or too NASCAR sounding

There's a few custom places that are recommended but I'd stick close to the original box layout if you want it to cruise without drone :)

MrHooky 2nd September 2015 01:21 PM

Thanks, I’m not completely against a Milltek just wanted to know options!

I’ve seen a Milltek come up on eBay although think it’s gone again so am prepared to wait for one if that’s the one to go for. I’m also not keen on the drone that some ‘lesser’ systems may potentially give.

Really just want the V8 to sound a bit more meaty without being appearing chavvy aftermarket.

My neighbour has a new RS7 with an Akrapovic which sounds fantastic. Guessing they probably don’t make one for an S2 D8 though…!

MrHooky 2nd September 2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Peach (Post 99007)
I can't really help with your question, but I can tell you that the Milltek sounds fantastic! Never too droney on the motorway, but sounds excellent when you want it to! +++

Sorry, that didn't help did it! :D

Is yours a non-res?

moltuae 2nd September 2015 04:12 PM

I've been looking to do this too for a long time. Once I've got my car perfect in every other way, a custom exhaust is on the list.

I'd be looking for an exhaust that makes no noticeable difference under light throttle, so as not to spoil the tranquillity and refinement at cruise, but one that will let the roar and rasp of the V8 escape when driven enthusiastically. I'd also like the exhaust to release a few more horses, if possible, by improving exhaust gas flow, for which reason I'm considering a custom exhaust that has twin pipes, all the way back, to keep gasses from the two banks separate.

I've spoken to a number of friends and acquaintances in the trade, and one company that has been recommended a few times is Pipe Werx who, I'm told, are particularity knowledgeable in all things VAG. Might be worth giving them a call if you're not based too far away.

Adrian E 2nd September 2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHooky (Post 99010)
Is yours a non-res?

Milltek only ever did one version of exhaust - a cat back resonated system

tintin 2nd September 2015 04:32 PM

Adrian's right, you can't get a (new) Miltek system for a D2 any more. As and when I need to replace mine, I'll probably go to MIJ in Walsall, which might suit you, depending on where you are (your location's not listed)

http://www.mijexhaust.com

They get good press (on here and elsewhere), and I've been impressed with the work they've done for me previously. They're also quite happy to tune the exhaust to fit your specific tastes, and I'm happy with mine.

Adrian E 2nd September 2015 05:32 PM

Mine will be up on a ramp tomorrow getting its MOT so will try and grab a pic of the system :)

Need to check out if a rear diff seal needs doing yet so will be having a look!

Goran 3rd September 2015 06:55 AM

If your exhaust is physically fine and you just want some more sound, why not try the ultra cheap option of just removing the back box. Several owners have done this on here, their cars sound really good. Simply removing that back box releases the proper V8 sound.
I don't know if there are any sound clips.
There was a set of replacement pipes in the For Sale section for £100

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10441