A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - Audi / VW car items (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   D2 Avus wheels (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14246)

Duffy 12th June 2018 07:35 PM

D2 Avus wheels

Hi

Looking for a set of these please, happy if they need reconditioning but ideally straight and crack free.

Thanks!

IT 12th June 2018 08:49 PM

Pre Facelift, Facelift, or not bothered either way ?

(not that I have any, but I'm sure other folks will ask !)

Duffy 13th June 2018 06:37 AM

Good point well presented, didn't know there was a change. :)

It's just for a set of winters so my 20's can rest nice and safe, after refurbishment, in the harsh Scottish winter months up here.

Ideally facelifts I'd think

:)

HPsauce 13th June 2018 09:17 AM

If they are for winters then I'd say go PF unless you specifically want FL wheels to match an FL car.

The face of the PF wheel is more protected than the FL version as that sticks out further and is more prone to kerbing etc. damage.

Though getting them, and especially a set of centres, may be less easy.

What is your car by the way? If it's PF then 17" Avus wheels will also fit over the brakes; I had those on my first S8 for winter.

Duffy 13th June 2018 01:26 PM

My old 2002 S8 is coming home later this month.

Sir Wil has been looking after it for 4 years but it’s coming back to the fold as a toy rather than a daily runner

Architex_mA8tey 13th June 2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy (Post 142736)

Sir Wil has been looking after it for 4 years but it’s coming back to the fold as a toy rather than a daily runner

Brilliant! +++ :love:

Duffy 13th June 2018 02:32 PM

For a change it’s my wife that’s pushing the old Audi cause.

Fond memories of kids, holidays etc etc, she loved this car and never gelled with the D3 S8 or the D4 4.2 (or indeed her current A6 C7)

Been told to get it back, fix all that’s wrong, sort out the cosmetics and take it from there.

Be a pleasant change not having to sneak bits in when she’s not looking
:D

MikkiJayne 13th June 2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy (Post 142740)
she loved this car and never gelled with the D3 S8 or the D4 4.2 (or indeed her current A6 C7)

Been told to get it back, fix all that’s wrong, sort out the cosmetics and take it from there.

+++

IT 13th June 2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy (Post 142736)

I seem to think that you will need FL Avus to fit over the Brembos on a 2002.... I think the PF ones were only designed to clear the original brakes and are slightly curved on the inside.....

Happy to be corrected - Its just ringing a bell in my tired old brain +++

HPsauce 13th June 2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 142745)
Happy to be corrected - Its just ringing a bell in my tired old brain +++

Consider yourself corrected. :tuttut:

The Avus 17s I had on my PF for winter were a very tight fit on the FL, balance weights would catch depending where placed. So I never fitted them to it, though thin spacers could have fixed the problem.

Having acquired the FL I sold those 17s and used PF 18's (not sure how I acquired those...) as winter wheels until I got my first set of 20's. At which point the FL Avus 18's became winter wheels.
(And eventually through a series of deals the PF Avus 18s and 20s both went and I acquired my current diamond-cut 20s and shod them with the dual-compound Michelin PS4S tyres)