A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Wheels and Tyres (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Tyre pressures Dunlop 275/35 ZR21 on A8L (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13967)

GlynH 24th March 2018 11:27 AM

Tyre pressures Dunlop 275/35 ZR21 on A8L

I have a set of 21x9J Audi 5-Spoke Rotor Titanium Alloys on my car fitted with 275/35 ZR21 103Y Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tyres.

The sticker on the inside of the drivers door only goes up to 20” and the Owners Manual unhelpfully refers you to the sticker stating tyre pressures.

The n/s/f tyre looks to be a little low and only has 23psi in it and the other three hover around 26-27.5 psi all of which seems low to me.

The Kwikfit site although it recognises my car from the registration number draws a complete blank on tyre pressures for all tyre sizes.

The Dunlop website although it details the technical specs for the tyre omits probably the most important item...pressures!

So my question would be what are the recommended tyre pressures for these tyres on my 2014 Facelift A8L?

I think I’ll pump them up to 36psi all round for the time being until I get a definitive answer.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

tc4332 24th March 2018 06:18 PM

36 is a good bet as far as I am concerned. My tame tyre man agrees with me.
I have played with pressures but finally opted at 36 on a cold day. I do monitor pressures and temperatures on each wheel including the spare with a TyrePal system.
The only problem I have is SWMBO panics if there is a discrepancy of one pound in the tyre pressures. Three at 36 and one at 35 has her crawling all over the roof lining.

ainarssems 24th March 2018 08:50 PM

23 is definitely too low, 32-42 would be my recommendation depending on load and driving conditions so 36 seem like a good middle way.

paulrstaylor 24th March 2018 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
36-38 front, 32-39 rear......

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1521929189

Conan_the_Librarian 24th March 2018 09:36 PM

When I did one of my advance driver course with an ex Met Police examiner we discussed tyre pressure in non standard tyre and wheel combinations.
His recommendation is to set up at a datum (say 34 in your case); then drive the car the manner you intend (urban, motorway, track) and once the tyres are at operating temperature measure them again. You are looking for an increase of 10%. If it's higher than 10% then the tyres were under inflated when cold. Under 10% then they were originally over inflated. It's all about sidewall flexing. Of course it also depends on the manner in which the car is being driven. There are no, one pressure suits all occasions.

Turbo Tony 25th March 2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 139332)
When I did one of my advance driver course with an ex Met Police examiner we discussed tyre pressure in non standard tyre and wheel combinations.
His recommendation is to set up at a datum (say 34 in your case); then drive the car the manner you intend (urban, motorway, track) and once the tyres are at operating temperature measure them again. You are looking for an increase of 10%. If it's higher than 10% then the tyres were under inflated when cold. Under 10% then they were originally over inflated. It's all about sidewall flexing. Of course it also depends on the manner in which the car is being driven. There are no, one pressure suits all occasions.

Neat tip! +++

Architex_mA8tey 26th March 2018 10:11 AM

I generally ran my Kahn Wheels which were 21" at between 38 & 40 psi and that seemed to work well. fronts were 255 30 21 and rears were 295 25 21 +++

paulrstaylor 26th March 2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 139331)

I should have mentioned, this picture is of the OEM pressures sticker from a 2015 D4, which shows the recommended pressures for this size of tyre.....

It also has a part number, should you want to order one for your own door +++

GlynH 28th March 2018 09:57 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys...I’ve learned a lot.

And I’ve ordered a new door sticker from Audi for the bargain price of £4.57.

Probably the cheapest thing I’ve ever brought from Audi :ROFL:

-=Glyn=-